ANTHONY JOSHUA’S new coach has been tipped to get the former heavyweight champion “applying the pressure” again.
The Brit has a huge year ahead of him as he looks to bounce back from consecutive defeats to Oleksandr Usyk.
Anthony Joshua is set to return to action in April
Joshua, 33, has not confirmed his new coach, but is believed to be working with Derrick James.
Roy Jones Jr reckons that James is a brilliant appointment, and can get AJ back to his best.
Jones, 54, told Pro Boxing Fans: “Great decision, great decision.
“I told him before he did it that I thought it was a great decision, a great move.
“I said if you feel comfortable there, don’t keep going around looking. If you’re comfortable, stay where you’re comfortable at.
“[I told him], don’t come to me, it’ll just confuse you more. And now he’ll be like, ‘Should I go here or…?’ No — don’t do that. If you’re comfortable there, stay there, where you’re at.
“And then a couple of days later he said okay.
“He stayed with James, and that was perfect for him because I think James may be able to get him to apply the type of pressure that he needs to apply as a bigger man when he fights people like Usyk.”
Roy Jones Jr reckons that AJ has made a brilliant coaching appointment
Joshua is expected to make his much-anticipated return to the ring in early April.
As revealed by SunSport over the weekend, Jermaine Franklin is one of three names in the frame to be Joshua’s next opponent.
Franklin’s team are in talks with AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn – while Demsey McKean and Gerald Washington are also in the frame.
This will be the second time in a row that AJ has gone into a bout with a new team, having ditched Rob McCracken last year and worked with Robert Garcia ahead of his Usyk rematch.
Joshua will fight at London’s 02 Arena on April 1 for the first time in seven years.
Quizzed if AJ can be a champion again, Jones Jr said: “Of course he can. Of course he can.
“He’s a very intelligent fighter, he’s a very talented fighter. Of course he can become world champion again.”
‘JOSHUA IS AN AMAZING HEAVYWEIGHT’
Franklin’s promoter Dmitriy Salita told SunSport: “I think that Jermaine is one of the frontrunners.
“Joshua is an amazing heavyweight. But at this point the question is how much does Joshua want to test himself and risk?
“Jermaine is waiting for confirmation and the fight announcement press conference.
“Jermaine’s side is on board as soon as Joshua gives that green light.”
Last time out in November, Franklin, 29, lost a controversial decision to Dillian Whyte at Wembley Arena.
Jermaine Franklin was last in action against Dillian Whyte
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do boxers train a day?
Boxing trainers train for at most 4 hours per day. They also learn new moves and practice punches. Boxers sometimes spar 10 times per semaine.
How much weight should I lift to be a successful shopper?
If you are looking to increase your strength, weight lifting is a must. There are some things you need to remember when lifting weights. First, make sure that you don’t overdo it. You should lift heavier weights at least once a week. Third, complete each exercise 8 times. Fourth, between sets, take 2 minutes to rest. Fifth, complete all exercises using no momentum. Focus on form and not speed.
How long does it take you to learn how to box?
Boxing is one the oldest forms of martial arts. Around 2200 BC, China hosted the first boxing match. For thousands of years, boxing has been practiced. Today, boxing is still popular among athletes and celebrities. It takes approximately 10 months to master boxing.
Boxing involves many movements, which is why it can take so long to learn. To be able to perform each movement correctly, certain muscles are required. These muscles take time to build.
You can learn how to move your body and then you can begin practicing any type boxing technique. Over time, each technique will become more difficult.
How do I practice boxing alone?
You can also watch professional boxing matches live on TV if you don’t have a partner and want to learn boxing. A local amateur boxing association is also available. Amateur boxesing clubs usually hold regular training sessions. These sessions typically involve sparring partners, who often hit pads together.
You can also use punching bags to practice boxing. Just make sure that you’re wearing protective gear such as boxing gloves before hitting the bag.
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
How do you set up a Boxing Gym within your House?
How to setup a boxing gym is a common question asked every day by people who want to start their own business. Many people are curious about how much equipment they should purchase, what type of space they need, and how many employees they will require. There are many factors that affect the cost of starting your own business. These factors include the location, type, number of employees and marketing budget. But one thing that most people forget is the importance of having good equipment. If you don’t have any equipment then you cannot get started. Here are some tips for setting up a boxing school in your home.
- Training should be done in a safe environment. You can use your garage, basement, spare bedroom, or living room to train. Only thing is that the equipment must have enough space.
- A punching bag (or more) is essential. This is essential because it will make it easier to practice punches. This can be anything from a small plastic bag to heavy leather bags. It must be big enough for you to carry it comfortably. You should also ensure it is durable and strong so it can last many years.
- You will need a pad. Matting protects floors and walls from kicks. It is usually made out of foam rubber. They can be bought online or offline stores.
- A bench is a must. The bench can be used to support the body during pushups. They can be ordered online or in local stores. Make sure you get the right size.
- You need a speedbag. Speedbags can be used to improve hand movement speed. These bags can be bought online or offline. It is important to ensure that you purchase a product of high quality and lasting value.
- You will need a headgear. For sparring, you will need to use a headgear. It can be purchased from online stores or offline stores. Be sure to find the perfect fit and protect your face.
- Gloves will be necessary. Gloves are used to protect your hands during sparring sessions. These gloves can be bought online or in stores. You can choose the pair that best suits you and your style.
- A mouthpiece is essential. You can use mouthpieces to protect your teeth during sparring sessions. You can purchase these online or offline stores. Again, choose a pair that suits your style and needs.
- You need a ring. Rings are used to simulate real fights. You can buy them online or offline. So that you don’t get injured during sparring, ensure it has padding both sides.
- A towel is essential. Towels are used to wipe sweat off after each workout session. They can be purchased at local sporting goods store or online stores. Make sure that they’re soft and absorbent.