Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Boxing

Canelo Alvarez confirms he will fight Gennady Golovkin next in huge trilogy bout before rematching Dimitry Bivol

, Canelo Alvarez confirms he will fight Gennady Golovkin next in huge trilogy bout before rematching Dimitry Bivol

CANELO ALVAREZ is on course to have a trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin following defeat in his return to light-heavyweight.

Boxing’s former pound-for-pound king suffered a unanimous decision defeat to Dmitry Bivol in his bid to claim the WBA 175lb strap earlier this month.

Canelo Alvarez came up short in his 175lbs showdown with Dmitry Bivol earlier this month
But the Mexican will drop back down to super-middleweight to face Gennady Golovkin next
, Canelo Alvarez confirms he will fight Gennady Golovkin next in huge trilogy bout before rematching Dimitry Bivol
The former pound-for-pound king won the pair’s rematch in September 2018

Canelo had set his sights on a rematch with the Russian in the immediate aftermath of his second pro loss but has since turned his attention to settling the score with Golovkin.

He told ESPN Deportes: “Surely yes [about fighting Golovkin next].

“We already had that contract, that agreement, so we have to continue what we started and I think those are the two biggest fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol.

“Unfortunately we lost, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to try again.

READ MORE IN SPORT

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
, Canelo Alvarez confirms he will fight Gennady Golovkin next in huge trilogy bout before rematching Dimitry Bivol

DING DING

Canelo versus Dmitry Bivol PPV figures revealed as rematch is eyed

, Canelo Alvarez confirms he will fight Gennady Golovkin next in huge trilogy bout before rematching Dimitry Bivol

FREE BETS

FREE BETS: Get £20 bonus when you stake £10 on any sport with LiveScore Bet

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“The important thing here is perseverance and we’re going to do it again.”

The third instalment of Canelo vs GGG was initially slated for September – a timeline the pride of Mexico hopes to keep.

He said: “What is certain is that we are going to return in September.

“And in the coming days… today, tomorrow, the day after, we are going to announce the fight, we just have to wait a little bit.”

SUN BINGO GET £50 BONUS & 50 FREE SPINS TODAY

Canelo and Golovkin, 31 and 40 respectively, took part in two of the most entertaining fights in recent history in September 2017 and 2018.

The pair’s first meeting ended in a controversial draw, with many in the boxing world believing the judges robbed Golovkin.

Canelo edged their rematch 12 months later via majority decision – although many thought the epic rematch should’ve been scored a draw.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The prospect of a third fight between Canelo and Golovkin hasn’t been received warmly, but promoter Eddie Hearn insists now is the time for the pair to close the book on their rivalry.

He said: “I spoke to Canelo yesterday. We’re talking on Monday to see what’s next.

“We know the GGG fight is there for the undisputed; it’s the trilogy.

“It’s probably the only chance. We’ve got to make that fight, but he’s desperate to fight Dmitry Bivol.

“I think he’ll only fight GGG if he fights Dmitry Bivol after that. So, we’ll talk to Canelo on Monday and make a decision next week.”

FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS

Did you miss our previous article…
https://www.sportingexcitement.com/boxing/watch-mike-tysons-ice-cool-reaction-after-a-crazed-fan-pulls-out-gun-after-approaching-him-at-comedy-show/

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Premier League

ARSENAL transfer chief Edu has set tongues wagging after he was apparently spotted jetting to Spain to complete a transfer. The Gunners are in...

Formula 1

A FORMULA ONE car has been spotted driving down a motorway – leaving fellow road users bemused. The old Ferrari was filmed speeding along...

Horse Racing

FRANKIE DETTORI hailed Inspiral a “true champion” after she battled to Group 1 glory in Deauville. The Italian steered the three-year-old filly to beat...

Premier League

MANCHESTER UNITED legend Gary Neville has claimed the club need £1BILLION to rebuild Old Trafford. Following United’s humiliating 4-0 defeat to Brentford, Neville went...

Premier League

ANTONIO CONTE faces one of the biggest tests of his managerial mettle so far as he heads to former club Chelsea, where he won...

Premier League

CHELLSEA flop Timo Werner netted a 25-yarder on his second RB Leipzig debut – thanks to a huge keeper error. The Germany striker saw...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook