Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Boxing

Canelo Alvarez to take huge hit on £28m-per-fight payday with no crowds as opponents snub bout because of lower fee

CANELO ALVAREZ looks set to take a huge hit on his near £28million-per-fight deal due to a lack of crowds and opponents snubbing him due to the lower fee.

Golden Boy Promotions President Eric Gomez has confirmed John Ryder and WBA super middleweight champion Callum Smith are potential fights for the Mexican.

Canelo Alvarez will take a huge hit on his near £28m-a-fight deal

But he also claimed it would be much easier to arrange a fight with a US opponent instead due to the restrictions in place due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Canelo is due to return to the ring in Las Vegas on September 14 but it is still to be confirmed who will be in the opposite corner.

That depends on the finances involved – with Canelo himself not due to get his usual bumper fee.

The 29-year-old four-weight world champ penned an 11-fight deal with DAZN in 2018 worth £289m.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

But with his next clash due to be behind-closed-doors, there will be no revenue from ticket sales.

And both David Lemieux and Sergiy Derevyanchenko have already stated they are not willing to battle the star for a low fee.

Canelo has been the highest-paid sports star per appearance over the past year

Speaking to Sky Sports, Gomez said: “There is a very good chance [Canelo could face Smith or Ryder].

“There are a couple of guys we are looking at as a possibility.

“[If we get an opponent in the United States we don’t have to deal with any visa restrictions that have been imposed by the government.

“If there is someone already here in the US? That helps. It is more difficult now because of the restrictions.

“The borders are not all open so it isn’t easy to bring some fighters to the US.

“It all depends on the negotiations. We are not living in the world that we lived in last year.”

He also confirmed: “Canelo will be taking a significant pay cut.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“It depends on the negotiations.

“Anybody willing to come to the table and be reasonable, he will fight.

“We are not discarding any of the top guys.”

 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Boxing

WHILE Anthony Joshua was in SE’s HQ, we took the opportunity to hit him with a dozen sucker-punch questions. Holiday destination or one place...

Formula 1

LANDO NORRIS will enjoy home advantage at the British Grand Prix this weekend. And the Formula One star is living life in the fast...

Boxing

JAKE PAUL has been flaunting the custom-made £250,000 belt that will be up for grabs in his grudge match with Tommy Fury. The YouTuber...

Boxing

JAKE PAUL has told Tommy Fury to stop wasting his time and come up with $15million to make a fight happen. Paul, 25, wants...

Boxing

JAKE PAUL has told Tommy Fury to get his “f*****g visa” and save their Madison Square Garden showdown. The pair’s grudge match is on...

Boxing

ANTHONY JOSHUA insists there’s “no love lost between” himself and former coach Rob McCracken following their split. The Watford warrior ditched his former long-time...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook