CHRIS EUBANK JR will return to the ring for the first time in nearly a year when he takes on Liam Smith.
The pair are set to face off in a middleweight bout at the AO Arena in Manchester on January 21.
Chris Eubank Jr, left, and Liam Smith, right, will clash on January 21
And while Eubank, 33, is the bookies’ favourite heading into the clash, it is a highly competitive fight to kick off British boxing in 2023.
Smith, 34, is a former world champion having claimed the WBO light-middleweight title in 2016.
He ended up relinquishing the belt to pound-for-pound star Canelo Alvarez and has gone on to lose on two more occasions against Jaime Munguia and Magomed Kurbanov.
But he has been more active in recent times, beating Jessie Vargas and Hassan Mwakinyo in the last nine months.
By contrast, Eubank has not fought since defeating Liam Williams by unanimous decision in February 2022.
He was scheduled to face Conor Benn in a much-anticipated catchweight fight in October.
But the bout fell through when Benn failed a drugs test.
So how do Eubank and Smith match up? Well, SunSport has taken a look at the tale of the tape.
How Eubank and Smith stack up ahead of their middleweight bout
Smith is one year older than Eubank and has had two more professional fights.
The Liverpudlian also turned pro three years earlier than his British rival.
The pair share the same number of wins – 32 – but Smith has one more loss on his record.
The former world champion’s three defeats compare to Eubank’s two – which came at the hands of Billy Joe Saunders and George Groves.
Eubank has four more knockouts, although neither man is known as a particularly huge puncher.
But when it comes to size, Smith does have a little deficit to make up.
He is more than an inch smaller, has been operating at 154lbs until recently, and has a four-inch reach disadvantage.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you learn to box punch?
Boxing punches are practiced using a punching bag. The bag is used to practice boxing punches until you feel confident. Next, move on to the next section of your body. Once you feel confident with the area, move on to next.
What are the benefits to boxing?
Boxing has many health benefits. Boxing builds strong bones and muscles. Boxing improves coordination and reflexes. It also strengthens your heart and lungs. The best part is that boxing doesn’t require any special equipment. You can use almost anything around your home.
How long does it take for you to learn boxing
Boxing takes 3 months to learn. This includes learning the basics, such as footwork, stance, and balance. It is important to remember that boxing does not just involve throwing punches. You also need to learn how to block and dodge attacks.
How do beginners train to become boxers?
Although boxing is one of oldest sports, its popularity has increased only recently. Two fighters are matched up in boxing. They punch each other until one of them falls.
Find out if you are interested in boxing before you start thinking about becoming a boxer. Check out some YouTube fights to get a feel for what it is like to hit someone. After you have decided if you are interested in boxing, you can choose the style of fighting that you like.
What can I do to improve my fighting defense?
By learning to fight smart, you can improve the defense of your combative skills. You need to be able to defend yourself from all angles and counterattack if necessary.
If you don’t fight well, you will not be able to handle any situation. You’ll just get beaten up. However, if your fight skills are solid, you’ll be ready to face any challenge.
Here are some suggestions to help improve your defense.
- You must understand where your opponent’s attacks are coming from. This means that you have to pay attention to your opponent’s body language. This could be a sign that your opponent is preparing for his next attack.
- Stay calm. Don’t panic. Instead, stay focused and relaxed.
- Block with your arms. Blocking with your arms is a simple but effective way to defend yourself against attacks.
- Counterattack. If you see your opponent attacking you, then you need to counterattack immediately.
- Fight dirty. Fighting dirty can be a way to defend yourself. If your opponent kicks you in the face, you can counter by kicking him back.
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
How do I setup a Boxing Gym in My House
People who are looking to start their own business often ask how to set up a boxing club. People often ask what amount they should spend on equipment, what size space is needed, how many people do they need, etc. There are many factors that can affect the cost of starting your business. These include where you are located, how many employees you have, the marketing budget and competition. One thing most people overlook is the importance and value of good equipment. You cannot begin if you don’t own the right equipment. These are some great tips for starting a home boxing club.
- You need to have somewhere you can train. The space you need to train can be found in the garage, basement and spare rooms, as well as in the living room. Only one requirement: There must be enough space for the equipment to be set up.
- You need a punching bag (or two). This is vital because you won’t have the ability to practice punches without it. It can be anything, from a lightweight plastic bag to an expensive leather bag. It must be big enough for you to carry it comfortably. Also make sure that it is sturdy and durable so that you can use it for years to come.
- You need a mat. Matting is used to protect floors or walls while practicing kicks. It is usually made out of foam rubber. These products can be ordered online or offline.
- A bench is necessary. Bench is used to support your body while doing pushups. These can be bought online or in stores. Make sure you get the right size.
- A speedbag is required. Speedbags are useful for developing quick hand movements. These bags can be bought online or offline. Buy quality products that will last a long time.
- A headgear will be necessary. The headgear protects your head during sparring sessions. It can be bought online or in-store. Make sure you get something that fits and protects your face.
- Gloves are necessary. Gloves are needed to protect your hands during sparring sessions. They can be ordered online or at local shops. Select the pair that fits your style and needs.
- You will need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces are used for protecting your teeth during sparring sessions. These are available online and in offline shops. You should choose the pair that best suits you and your needs.
- You will need a ring. Rings are used to simulate real fights. You can buy them online or offline. To ensure you aren’t hurt during sparring sessions, make sure it has padding on both ends.
- You will need a towel. To wipe away sweat after each session, towels are necessary. You can find them at your local sporting goods shop or online. Make certain that they are soft and absorbent.