CHRIS EUBANK JR thought he was stepping into the lion’s den as he takes on Welsh middleweight Liam Williams in Cardiff – but the fight has been put back AGAIN.
The British Boxing Board of Control had to cancel the bout along with every fight in the UK throughout January.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Next Gen has fought twice so far in 2021, seeing off Marcus Morrison and Wanik Awdijan as he looks to build towards Gennady Golovkin and a world title shot.
Williams meanwhile got his chance at the WBO middleweight crown in the summer, but fell on the wrong side of an unanimous decision against Demetrius Andrade.
This will be the Welshman’s first bout in Cardiff since 2018, where he scored an emphatic second round KO of Craig Nicholson.
There is no love-lost between the two fighters and this Best of British fight could be one of the highlights of 2021.
When is Eubank Jr vs Williams?
- The big domestic dust-up was set for Saturday, January 29 – but was POSTPONED for a second time.
- Originally, the fight was scheduled for December 11, but a shoulder injury for Williams had put the fight back by six weeks.
- It will now be held on Saturday, February 5.
- It will be held at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, which will house around 7,000 fight fans.
- The evening’s entertainment will start around 6pm, with the main event around 10pm GMT.
Which TV channel and live stream can I watch it on?
You will be able to watch every jab, duck and upper-cut on Sky Sports Arena.
Exact times are yet to be confirmed but it is likely the evening’s entertainment will broadcast from 7pm.
If you’re not a Sky customer, you can watch by grabbing a NOW TV pass from £9.99.
SunSport will be running a dedicated live blog for this fight, so you don’t miss any of the drama.
Who else is fighting on the undercard?
As yet, the final card is yet to be confirmed.
But here’s how things are looking for fight night in the Welsh capital:
- Chris Eubank Jr vs Liam Williams (middleweight)
- Claressa Shields vs Ema Kozin (women’s WBC, WBA, IBF, WBF middlweight title)
- Samuel Antwi vs Conah Walker (BBBofC English welterweight title)
- Rhys Edwards vs TBC
- Bradley Rea vs TBC
What they said
Eubank Jr: “I’m no stranger to going into the lion’s den. I’ve been booed into arenas many times before.
“It doesn’t affect me. If anything, it makes me fight harder, if the crowd is against me. Not to say that I’m hoping they are. I hope that I receive a warm welcome.
“But either way, I’m going to go in there and get the job done.”
Williams: “He’s a pretender. He just wants to make people believe that he’s at a certain level and everybody else is irrelevant and a no one, but the reality of it is he’s a clown.”
“We both have a style where we want to be involved in good fights and we can’t help but be involved in them because we are both gutsy fighters.
“The fans are going to be the winners.”