DEONTAY WILDER revealed a little-known 17 stone heavyweight was the hardest sparring partner he ever had.
Wilder has shared rounds in the gym with the likes of Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye during the early stages of his career.
Deontay Wilder at the Skyy Boxing gym in 2020
But according to the man himself, neither ex-world champion had a patch on American veteran Alonzo Butler.
Wilder told ESNews: “I had a really good, solid war with Alonzo Butler, ‘Big Zo’.
“Big Zo was the fastest heavyweight I’ve ever seen, with his size, he was a solid 250 lbs, but he could move.
“If he had better management and handling he could’ve been heavyweight champion of the world.
“When I was coming up and I saw him, I was very impressed. I looked at him like, ‘Damn, I wanna get like that’.
“Alonzo was the man, he was the first guy that I ever felt a body shot from and I learned a lot from him during that time.”
Butler, now 43, has 34 wins, three losses and two draws with 25 knockouts to his name.
He fought as recently as 2021 but faced largely journeyman opposition throughout his career.
Wilder, 37, is regarded as one of the hardest hitters in boxing history, which led him to the WBC crown.
But he made a name for himself with valuable sparring after winning bronze in the 2008 Olympics.
And Haye, 42, can attest to just how hard the Bronze Bomber really punched.
He told BT Sport in the past: “I truly think he is the hardest punching heavyweight ever, I know that maybe sounds like an exaggeration.
“I got hit by Wilder in sparring. I’ve been hit by Wladimir Klitschko, on the chin with 10 ounce gloves on.
“There was more effect from Wilder hitting me on the top of the head, with 18 ounce gloves on and I was wearing a head guard – and it wasn’t even clean.
“After that, I remember thinking, ‘This guy is going to do something.’ He was wild and he was all over the place. . . but the power.”
Alonzo Butler is a former sparring partner of Deontay Wilder’s
David Haye pictured with Deontay Wilder
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I increase my defense against fighting?
You can improve your defense in fighting by learning how to fight smart. You must know how to defend against attacks from all angles, and you must also know how to counterattack if necessary.
If you don’t know how to fight, then you won’t be prepared for anything. You’ll just get beaten up. If you know how to fight you will be ready for anything.
Here are some tips to help you improve your defense:
- Know the origin of your opponent’s attack. This means you must pay close attention to the body language of your opponent. If your opponent appears nervous, it could mean that he’s about to attack again.
- Be calm. Don’t panic. Instead, remain calm and focused.
- Block with the arms of your armour. Blocking with your arm is a simple, but effective, way to defend yourself against attackers.
- Counterattack. If you see your opponent attacking you, then you need to counterattack immediately.
- Fight dirty. Fighting dirty is another way of defending yourself. If you are being kicked by your opponent, you can respond by kick him back.
What is Boxing?
Boxing is an intense sport in which two people attempt to knock their opponent out by hitting them in both the head or face. The object of boxing is to hit an opponent as hard as possible without hurting yourself. Both boxers need to be able throw punches at high speeds in order to achieve this. They also need to have good hand-eye coordination.
Do I have to fight in order to train boxing?
Boxing can only be learned if you are willing to fight. It is important to put in the effort to improve your boxing. But if you do, you’ll find that you can improve your boxing technique, speed, endurance, strength, and stamina.
The first step towards improving your boxing technique is to watch some good boxers fight. It is important to observe their movements, their defenses, and how well they use punches. Then try to imitate their techniques.
The next step is to spar with another boxer. You’ll be able to see how you’ve improved your fighting technique. When you spar, you’ll also notice how fast you can punch, how strong your punches feel, and how well you block incoming punches.
You’ll also need to practice your boxing skills through drills. It takes practice to become a master boxer, so persevere and be patient.
What are the 7 punches used in boxing?
These seven punches are: jab cross, hook hook, uppercut straight right, left hook and body shot. These punches attack the opponent’s head or body.
What is the difference between a left hook and a right cross?
A left hook is thrown from the side of the body while a right cross is thrown from the front of the body.
A left hook is thrown facing the opponent with the back hand. The elbow is bent 90°, and the wrist is turned 45° towards the opponent.
With the palm facing the opponent, a right cross is performed. The elbow should be straight. The opponent is facing the wrist.
How long does it take to learn to box?
Boxing is one among the oldest martial arts known. The first recorded boxing match was held in China around 2200 BC. For thousands of years, boxing has been practiced. Athletes and celebrities still love boxing. It takes approximately 10 months to master boxing.
It takes so long for boxing to be learned because there are many types of movements involved. Each movement requires a specific set of muscles to work properly. So, it takes time to develop these muscles.
Once you have mastered the art of moving your body, you are ready to start learning any type or boxing technique. Each technique will become easier over time.
What are the benefits of boxing?
There are many health benefits associated with boxing. For starters, boxing helps build strong muscles and bones. Boxing improves coordination and reflexes. It strengthens your heart, lungs and other vital organs. The best part about boxing? It doesn’t require special equipment. You can use anything you have lying around the house.
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- Amazon.com: Ringside Diablo Wrestling Boxing Shoes : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
- Amazon.com – Sanabul Boxing Wraps Elastic 180in Red — Sports & Outdoors
How do you set up a Boxing Gym within your House?
How to setup a boxing gym is a common question asked every day by people who want to start their own business. Many people ask how much money they should spend on equipment, what kind of space is needed, how many employees do you think you need etc. There are many factors that can affect the cost of starting your business. These factors include the location, type, number of employees and marketing budget. However, most people neglect the importance of quality equipment. You cannot start if there isn’t the equipment. Here are some suggestions to help you start a gym for boxing at home.
- You need to have somewhere you can train. Anyplace you can train is fine, whether it’s in your garage, basement, spare or living area. Only thing is that the equipment must have enough space.
- A punching bag (or more) is essential. This is very important because without a punching bag you won’t be able to practice punches. It can be anything from a cheap plastic bag to a heavy leather bag. It must be big enough for you to carry it comfortably. You should also ensure it is durable and strong so it can last many years.
- You will need a mat. Matting is used for protecting floors and walls during kick practice. It is made mostly of foam rubber. These products can be ordered online or offline.
- A bench is necessary. A bench is used for support while performing pushups. These benches can be bought online and in physical stores. Make sure you get the right size.
- A speedbag is essential. Speedbags allow you to make quick hand movements. They can be purchased online or in stores. Buy quality products that will last a long time.
- A headgear is essential. You need a headgear to protect your head while sparring. It can be purchased from online stores or offline stores. Make sure you get something that fits and protects your face.
- Gloves are essential. Gloves can be used to protect your hands while sparring. They can be purchased either online or offline stores. Choose a pair that suits your needs and style.
- You need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces are used for protecting your teeth during sparring sessions. These are available online and in offline shops. Choose the pair that suits you best.
- You need a ring. Rings are used to simulate real fights. You can buy them online or offline. To ensure you aren’t hurt during sparring sessions, make sure it has padding on both ends.
- Towels are essential. You need a towel to remove sweat after a workout. They can either be purchased at your local sporting good store or online. Make certain that they are soft and absorbent.