Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Boxing

Devin Haney offers himself to fight Gervonta Davis if Rolando Romero is withdrawn amid sexual assault allegations

, Devin Haney offers himself to fight Gervonta Davis if Rolando Romero is withdrawn amid sexual assault allegations

EDDIE HEARN revealed Devin Haney has offered himself to face Gervonta Davis if Rolando Romero is withdrawn amid sexual assault allegations.

Romero faces being pulled out of his Showtime pay-per-view fight with Davis after a police report was filed against him.

Gervonta Davis, left, pictured next to Ronaldo Romero
WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney

A new opponent is being looked into and according to ESPN, Mexican Isaac Cruz is the frontrunner if a substitute is needed.

But promoter Hearn revealed WBC lightweight champion Haney – still in talks to fight JoJo Diaz – is also prepared to fill in for Romero.

He said: “I spoke to Devin Haney earlier, and I said, ‘Are you happy for me to put your name in the mix?’

“And he said yeah, because at the moment ‘No-go Diaz’ has not signed his contract after being offered more to fight Devin Haney than he was getting to fight Ryan Garcia.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“So we’ll have to see what happens, but we want to make the JoJo Diaz fight. But he’s got to hurry up and sign the contract.”

Diaz, 28, was due to fight Garcia, 23, but the unbeaten American pulled out injured.

He has since verbally agreed to instead face Haney, 22, but has not officially signed his side of the deal.

Davis, 26, was meanwhile set to fight Romero, also 26, on December 5 in Los Angeles.

But several women have come forward and accused Romero of sexual assault.

A spokesperson for the Henderson (Nevada) Police Department confirmed to ESPN that they received a report on Friday involving the boxer.

The spokesperson said there is an open investigation connected to the alleged incident.

Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza told FightHype: “Obviously those are disturbing allegations, very concerning.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“At this point we’re still monitoring the situation, looking to find out all the facts.

“And until we feel like we have a firm grasp we’re not gonna comment further, but it is something we’re looking into very seriously.”

Did you miss our previous article…
https://www.sportingexcitement.com/boxing/oleksandr-usyk-leaps-to-defence-of-anthony-joshua-and-says-brit-turned-in-brilliant-display-in-tottenham-tussle

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Boxing

TOMMY FURY reckons he’ll beat Jake Paul within four rounds and warned the social media personality that even his “mouth can’t save him”. The...

Cricket

ENGLAND all-rounder Tom Curran is quitting red-ball cricket for his physical and mental health. The Surrey star, 27, has not ruled out a future...

Boxing

TYSON FURY’S undisputed title fight is being eyed for April 29, according to reports. The fighters’ representatives have been locked in talks for some...

Cricket

JOFRA ARCHER seized SIX wickets in his second comeback match as England ended their sequence of one-day international defeats. Archer’s mega-haul came after Jos...

Tennis

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO claims he “has nothing” after being forced to retire from tennis last year. The Argentine, affectionately dubbed the Tower of...

Cricket

MOEEN ALI went to extreme lengths to get quick runs for England in their ODI against South Africa. When the all-rounder made his way...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement