IT took months of negotiations, but Devin Haney will finally challenge George Kambosos Jr for the undisputed lightweight title.
Haney, the WBC champion at 135lbs, was in last in action against JoJo Diaz back in December, winning on points.
Kambosos Jr shocked the world to become the WBA, WBO, IBF and Ring Magazine titleholder in November, beating Teofimo Lopez via split decision.
Immediately, discussions with Kambosos Jr’s next opponent began, with Vasyl Lomachenko looking the early favourite to land the fight in Australia.
But Loma’s decision to take some time off from boxing, following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, allowed Haney to take a seat at the negotiating table.
Haney will travel to Oz, having signed with Top Rank and Lou DiBella, to fight Kambosos Jr with all the marbles on the line – and without the presence of father and trainer Bill.
When is Haney vs Kambosos Jr?
- Haney’s big clash with Kambosos Jr will take place in the early hours of the morning on Sunday, June 5 in the UK.
- The fight will be held at the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, Australia.
- There will be close to 50,000 fans in attendance at the fight.
- Ring-walks for the main event are expected at around 4am BST, with the fight getting underway in the middle of the afternoon in Oz.
What channel is it and can it be live streamed?
- Haney vs Kambosos Jr will be shown live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Arena.
- You can live stream the action from the Sky Go or NOW TV apps, both of which are available for download onto your mobile or tablet device.
Haney vs Kambosos Jr FULL CARD
- George Kambosos Jr vs Devin Haney
- Andrew Moloney vs Alexander Espinoza
- Amari Jones vs Ankush Hooda
- Jason Moloney vs Aston Palicte
- Junior Fa vs Lucas Browne
- Hemi Ahio vs Joe Jones
- David Nyika vs Billy Ching
- Terry Nickolas vs Lachlan Higgins
- Taylah Robertson vs Sarah Higginson
- Isaias Sette vs Luke Gersbeck
- Yoel Angeloni vs Ken Aitken
- Hussein Fayad vs Pom Thanawut Phetkum
FABULOUS BINGO: Get a £20 bonus & 30 free spins when you spend £10 today
What has been said?
“I’m coming to take his head and break every rib that he has,” Kambosos said.
“I will drown him. I will beat him up.
“I will not only strip him of that half piece that he parades with that he never earned, but I will strip him of his career.
“He will never want to fight again.
“If he does, he will never be the same again, like I did with Teofimo.”
Haney added: “I began my career fighting in small bars in Mexico.
“Now I’m on the cusp of greatness showcasing my skills on the world’s stage fighting for lightweight supremacy.
“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. Come June 4, I claim my place in history and add to my legacy! Undisputed lightweight king… I’m coming for all the belts!”