FLOYD MAYWEATHER had no hesitation in naming HIMSELF the best fighter ever – before launching into a rant about Muhammad Ali after placing him fifth.
The 45-year-old legend holds an untarnished 50-0 career record with his last career win coming against Conor McGregor in 2017.
Floyd Mayweather has named HIMSELF the greatest boxer of all-time ahead of a host of legends
Mayweather launched into a an extraordinary rant on why he was better than Muhammad Ali
Since hanging up his gloves, Mayweather has hit the exhibition circuit and is preparing for a showdown with YouTube star Deji.
In 2020, Money appeared on ESPN and was asked to pick the best of the best from his sport, with Mayweather having legendary names such as Ali, Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis to choose from.
But he instantly named himself as top choice and explained why.
The American said: “He’s beat more world champions than any other fighter in a shorter time and less fights than any other fighter.
“Landed punches at the highest percentage and took less punishment. He’s been world champion 18 years in five different weight divisions.”
Regarding placing Ali in fifth, a man widely-regarded as the best of all-time, he said: “Ali, only one weight class and really lost to Ken Norton three times.
“What he did is he stood for a cause in an era when African-Americans didn’t stand up for their people.”
Mayweather also launched an extraordinary rant against Ali as he was named the best boxer of all time.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
He said: “What are we judging fighters on? Because if we’re judging fighters on standing for a cause, then it’s Ali hands down.
“But if we’re talking about taking the least punishment and breaking records, it’s Floyd Mayweather.
“Muhammad Ali paved the way for me to be where I’m at today, he’s a legend.
“But when we talk about record breaking, we’ve got to talk about Ali losing his world title to a fighter with only seven fights.
“I have to take my hat off to Ali, but I didn’t give this sport 40 years to say that there’s another fighter better than me.”
When the host argued that Ali’s boxing resume included legendary fights like his Thrilla in Manila showdown with Joe Frazier and suggested Mayweather did not have the same type of brawls, that ignited the flame further.
A fuming Money replied: “That’s not cool. That’s not cool.
“What I’m here to teach fighters is this: the name of the game is to hit and not get hit. It’s not about taking punishment.
“And I love Ali, but sitting on the ropes, taking punishment as far as doing a rope-a-dope – that’s not cool.”
Mayweather named Roberto Duran second, Pernell Whitaker third and Julio Cesar Chavez fourth in his own list.
He explained: “[Roberto Duran]. Came up from lightweight to world champion at 160lbs. Love that guy. A legend.
“[Pernell Whitaker]. Really, he beat Julio Cesar Chavez (the fight was a officially a draw). And he did beat my uncle Roger twice.
“[Julio Cesar Chavez]. Was 79-0 in different weight classes before he lost.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a left hook and a right cross?
A left hook can be thrown from the side, and a right cross from the front.
The opponent is facing the back of the left hook. The elbow is bent 90 degrees and the wrist is turned 45 degrees toward the opponent.
A right cross is when the opponent’s palm faces the opponent and the elbow straightens. The opponent’s wrist is rotated 45 degrees to the side.
How many punches can a human take?
A punch is “a blow delivered from the fist”. Humans can only withstand one punch at a time. When someone hits you in the face, he/she is punching you. You can’t hit him/her in the back. That would be two punches.
How can a beginner get started in boxing?
Boxing has been around since ancient times. Boxing was created in ancient times to help warriors fight off their enemies. Boxing is still widely practised today. Boxing is not something you need to do in a gym. All you need is a pair of gloves, some punching bags, and a few friends to spar with.
You can also find local amateur boxing clubs where you can join and get trained by professional coaches. Once you’ve mastered basic punches and combinations, you’ll be ready to compete in tournaments.
How can you box punches properly?
A punching bag can be used to practice boxing punches. Once you feel comfortable with the technique, you can punch the bag. Next, move on to the next section of your body. You can then move onto the next area once you are comfortable with that one.
How many hours do boxers train in a single day?
Boxing trainers usually work out at least 4 hours a day. They learn new moves and practice their punches. Boxers may spar up to ten times per week.
How can I improve my defensive capabilities in fighting?
You can improve your defense in fighting by learning how to fight smart. You need to know how defense against attacks from every angle is possible, as well how to counterattack in case of emergency.
If you don’t know how fight, you won’t be ready for anything. You’ll just get beaten up. However, if your fight skills are solid, you’ll be ready to face any challenge.
These are some tips that will help you improve your defense.
- Know where your opponent’s attack is coming from. This means that you have to pay attention to your opponent’s body language. If he appears nervous, it could indicate that he is about to launch his next attack.
- Remain calm. Don’t panic. Instead, stay focused and relaxed.
- Block with your arms. You can defend yourself against attacks by blocking with your arms.
- Counterattack. If you see your opponent attacking you, then you need to counterattack immediately.
- Fight dirty. Fight dirty. You can also respond to an opponent’s kicks by kicking them back.
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- Amazon.com : Ringside Diablo Wrestling Boxing Boots : Clothing, Shoes & Jewel
- Amazon.com – Sanabul Boxing handwraps elastic 180 inch red : Sports & Outdoors
How to setup a Boxing Gym at my House
Many people are curious about how to start a boxing business. Many people ask how much money they should spend on equipment, what kind of space is needed, how many employees do you think you need etc. There are many factors that affect the cost of starting your own business. Some of them include location, type of business, number of employees, marketing budget, competition etc. But one thing that most people forget is the importance of having good equipment. You cannot start if there isn’t the equipment. So if you really want to start a boxing gym in your home, here are some tips to help you out.
- A place to train is essential. You can use your garage, basement, spare bedroom, or living room to train. Only one requirement: There must be enough space for the equipment to be set up.
- A punching bag (or more) is essential. This is important as you won’t learn how to punch without one. It can be anything from a cheap plastic bag to a heavy leather bag. It must be big enough for you to carry it comfortably. You should also ensure it is durable and strong so it can last many years.
- You need a mat. Matting is used to protect floors and walls when practicing kicks. It is made mostly of foam rubber. They can be bought online or offline stores.
- You will need a bench. You can use a bench to support your body when you are doing pushups. You can buy them online or in-store. However, make sure that you choose the right size for you.
- Speedbags are essential. Speedbags are useful for developing quick hand movements. You can buy them from either online or offline shops. You want to make sure you get a high-quality product that will last.
- Headgear is necessary. The headgear protects your head during sparring sessions. It can be purchased from online stores or offline stores. You should ensure that the product you select fits your face well.
- Gloves are necessary. Gloves are needed to protect your hands during sparring sessions. They can be purchased either online or offline stores. Select the pair that fits your style and needs.
- You will need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces are used for protecting your teeth during sparring sessions. You can purchase these online or offline stores. Choose the pair that suits you best.
- A ring is essential. Rings are used to simulate real fights. They can be purchased offline or online stores. To ensure you aren’t hurt during sparring sessions, make sure it has padding on both ends.
- You will need to have a towel. To wipe off sweat after any workout, you will need to use towels. They can be purchased in your local sporting goods stores or online. Make sure that they’re soft and absorbent.