FLOYD MAYWEATHER revealed his friendship with the notorious Gotti family – which helped make his fight with the mafia boss’s grandson.
Mayweather is set to return to the ring for an exhibition on Sunday, June 11 in Miami against John Gotti III.
Floyd Mayweather with John Gotti III ahead of their exhibition
Notorious New York mafia boss John Gotti in 1990
Floyd Mayweather with John Gotti Jr
But the boxing legend’s history with the crime family goes way back, having formed a friendship with Gotti Jr.
And the pair have been talking for a number of years in an attempt to make a bout between Mayweather and Gotti III.
Mayweather said at a press conference: “I’m friends with his dad.
“This is what people don’t know, I’ve always been friends with the Gotti family. That’s what a lot of people don’t know.
“Of course, John Gotti Jr, how you doing John? It’s always good seeing you.It’s always great talking with you.
“And I’m glad we’re finally able to get this done, we’ve been working on this for a couple years now. For a long time.
“And of course, a great last name for this battle, last name means everything. You’re last names matters.
“I just want to say thank you John once again. You’ve always been a class act, a gentleman, a respectful man.
“And your son has been busting his ass working extremely hard, whether it’s MMA or boxing.
“And to be the best you have to continue to fight and improve yourself that’s what I did and I’m glad we were able to come together to make this event happen.”
Gotti Sr was famously boss of the Gambino crime family in New York City and earned the nickname the “Teflon Don.”
He was imprisoned in 1992 and sentenced to life after being found guilty on 14 accounts of conspiracy to commit murder and racketeering.
Gotti died in 2002 aged 61 after a battle with throat cancer while his son Jr stepped in as acting boss during the 90s.
Jr was also sentenced to six years and five months in jail in 1999 having been indicted on racketeering charges.
But following his release, the American claimed to have left the criminal underworld.
Gotti III – a 5-1 MMA fighter and 2-0 light-heavyweight boxer – has no links to organised crime.
He turned professional in MMA in 2017 but switched to boxing last year, most recently winning in January.
And Gotti III will be the latest in Mayweather’s collection of exhibition bouts since officially retiring in 2017.
His last came at London’s O2 Arena against reality TV star-turned boxer Aaron Chalmers, 35, which he dominated over eight rounds.
Floyd Mayweather is set to face John Gotti III on June 11 in Miami
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours do boxers train in a single day?
Boxing trainers train for at most 4 hours per day. They spend time learning new moves and practice their punches, as well as studying boxing techniques. Boxers sometimes spar 10 times per semaine.
Where can I buy boxing gear?
There are many different places online where you can buy boxing equipment. These include Amazon, eBay and Walmart. Ross and TJ Maxx are great places to find cheap boxing gear.
Look into reputable brands like Warrior and Golden Glove if you are looking to buy quality boxing gear.
How do you practice boxing punches?
A punching bag can be used to practice boxing punches. You’ll need to keep punching the bag until you feel you have mastered the technique. You can then move on to another area of your body. You can then move onto the next area once you are comfortable with that one.
How to throw a jab
Follow this step-by-step guide to throw a jab.
- With both feet, move forward
- Lift your arm up above your shoulder.
- Bring your fist down towards your target.
- After hitting your target, swing your arm backwards.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4.
How to protect yourself
Always defend your head when you’re being attacked. You want to avoid being punched. To avoid being punched, you must learn how to stop an incoming punch. Here’s how to do it:
- Be tall and square your shoulders.
- Keep your elbows close to your sides.
- Your forearm can block the punch coming from your opponent.
- Counterattack immediately.
- Continue blocking the attacker until he runs away.
- Don’t let your defense slip.
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
How do you set up a Boxing Gym within your House?
People who are looking to start their own business often ask how to set up a boxing club. Many people are curious about how much equipment they should purchase, what type of space they need, and how many employees they will require. The cost of starting a business can be affected by many factors. These include where you are located, how many employees you have, the marketing budget and competition. The importance of having quality equipment is something that many people forget. You can’t start if you don’t have the right equipment. Here are some suggestions to help you start a gym for boxing at home.
- A place to train is essential. The space you need to train can be found in the garage, basement and spare rooms, as well as in the living room. Only one requirement: There must be enough space for the equipment to be set up.
- A punching bag is essential. This is very important because without a punching bag you won’t be able to practice punches. It can be anything from a cheap plastic bag to a heavy leather bag. You should ensure that the bag is large enough to accommodate you comfortably. You should also ensure it is durable and strong so it can last many years.
- You will need a mat. When practicing kicks, mats are used to protect walls and floors. It is often made of foam rubber. You can buy them online and offline.
- You need a bench. You can use a bench to support your body when you are doing pushups. You can buy them online or in-store. Be sure to select the right size.
- A speedbag is required. Speedbags can be used to improve hand movement speed. These bags can be bought online or offline. You want to make sure you get a high-quality product that will last.
- A headgear is essential. Headgear is used to protect your head during sparring sessions. It can be bought online or in-store. You should ensure that the product you select fits your face well.
- You need gloves. Gloves are necessary to protect your hands when sparring. These gloves are available online and in offline shops. Select the pair that fits your style and needs.
- A mouthpiece is essential. You can use mouthpieces to protect your teeth during sparring sessions. You can purchase these online or offline stores. Choose the right pair for you.
- You will need a ring. Rings can be used to simulate real fights. These rings can either be purchased in an offline store or online. You should ensure that the padding is on both sides to prevent injuries during sparring sessions.
- You will need a towel. Towels are used to wipe sweat off after each workout session. These towels can be bought at your local sporting goods store, or online. They should be soft and absorbent.