GAME OF THRONES star Hafthor Bjornsson has retired from boxing after just four fights.
Following three low-key exhibition bouts, the 33-year-old Icelandic giant, known as “The Mountain”, beat fellow strongman Eddie Hall by unanimous decision back in March.
Bjornsson, right, beat Hall in a fight dubbed “The Heaviest Boxing Match in History”
Bjornsson showcased his boxing skill in a dominant win over British strongman Hall
He had been heavily linked with a fight against WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury – who even flew to Iceland in August to goad the strongman into a clash.
But now Bjornsson has confirmed he is hanging up the gloves, claiming he never truly loved the sport.
Speaking on his YouTube channel, he said: “I’ll admit there was a time when there was talks between Tyson Fury and I, his team and my team, there was build-up but that never went through.
“Now I’ve made a hard decision and the reason why it took me so long to make this video was because this is actually a very difficult thing to talk about.
“I’ve made a decision to move on from boxing, to not compete in boxing again, to say goodbye to boxing and just not fight again.
“I had a good run, I did it for two-and-a-half years. It was nice to do so, because when I first started I had a lot of people not believing in me.”
He continued: “I proved a lot of people wrong by working hard and I made some people proud.
“In reality, the passion was never there, it was all grind as I never really loved the sport.
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
“That’s just the truth, but I have a lot of respect for the sport because I know how much work goes into it.”
Bjornsson, who won the World’s Strongest Man contest in 2018, will now focus on surpassing a landmark he set three years ago.
In 2019, the Scandinavian broke the world record for throwing a 25kg weight over a 20-foot-tall bar.
And speaking about his future, he said: “It was like ‘what should I do?’ Spend the last few years as an athlete doing something I don’t love, or should I focus on my businesses and the things that I love, like lifting weights?
“I have two new goals, I have two new cats and I want to break one of my world records.
“The world record I’m trying to beat is the weight over the bar with 25kg. My record is 20 feet and two inches, so I have to beat that to break my own record.”
Bjornsson was linked with a fight against Fury but that is now not going to happen
Frequently Asked Questions
How many punches can one human take?
A punch can be defined as “a blow delivered with a fist”. Humans can only withstand one punch at a time. You are punching someone in the face if they hit you. You cannot hit him/her back. This would be two punches.
What is Boxing?
Boxing is a sport in which two people fight to knock one another out. They do this by hitting each other in the head and face. Boxing is about hitting an opponent as hard possible, without inflicting any injuries. To achieve this, both boxers should be able to throw punches with high velocity. They must also have good hand-eye coordination.
How can I practice boxing without a partner?
If you are looking to box with a partner but don’t want to train, you can just watch the professional boxing matches on TV. You can also find an amateur boxing gym near you. Amateur boxing clubs hold regular training sessions. These sessions are often attended by sparring partners who share the same pads.
Punching bags are another option for practicing boxing. Before you use the bag, be sure to protect yourself with gloves or boxing gloves.
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
How to set up a Boxing Gym in my House
Anyone who wants to open a business is often asked how to set-up a boxing studio. Many people ask how much money they should spend on equipment, what kind of space is needed, how many employees do you think you need etc. The cost of starting a business can be affected by many factors. These factors include the location, type, number of employees and marketing budget. Most people don’t realize the importance to have good equipment. You can’t start if you don’t have the right equipment. Here are some tips for setting up a boxing school in your home.
- You need to have somewhere you can train. It could be a garage, basement or spare room. Even the living room will work. It is only necessary that enough space exists to allow for equipment installation.
- A punching bag or two is necessary. This is very important because without a punching bag you won’t be able to practice punches. This can be anything from a small plastic bag to heavy leather bags. It must be big enough for you to carry it comfortably. Make sure it’s durable and sturdy so you can use it over the years.
- You need a mat. Matting protects floors and walls from kicks. It is made mostly of foam rubber. These can be purchased online or in-store.
- You will need a bench. The bench can be used to support the body during pushups. They can be purchased online or offline stores. You should ensure that you select the right size.
- Speedbags are essential. Speedbags are useful for developing quick hand movements. You can purchase them online or in-store. It is important to ensure that you purchase a product of high quality and lasting value.
- A headgear is essential. For sparring, you will need to use a headgear. It can either be purchased online or in a physical store. Make sure you get something that fits and protects your face.
- Gloves will be necessary. Gloves are used to protect your hands during sparring sessions. These gloves can be bought online or in stores. Select the pair that fits your style and needs.
- A mouthpiece is required. Mouthpieces can be used to protect your smile during sparring sessions. You can purchase these online or offline stores. You should choose the pair that best suits you and your needs.
- You need a ring. Rings are used to simulate real fights. These rings can either be purchased in an offline store or online. You should ensure that the padding is on both sides to prevent injuries during sparring sessions.
- You need a towel. You need a towel to remove sweat after a workout. They can either be purchased at your local sporting good store or online. They should be soft and absorbent.
Did you miss our previous article…