Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Boxing

Hasim Rahman Jr ready to fight Jake Paul NEXT WEEK and claims he can make 200lb after hosting unofficial weigh in

, Hasim Rahman Jr ready to fight Jake Paul NEXT WEEK and claims he can make 200lb after hosting unofficial weigh in

HASIM RAHMAN JR said he is ready to fight Jake Paul NEXT WEEK – and at their original weight of 200lb.

The pair of former sparring partners were due to face each other this weekend at New York’s iconic Madison Square Garden.

Hasim Rahman Jr said he is ready to fight Jake Paul

But a weight disagreement between the two forced the entire Madison Square Garden pay-per-view to be scrapped.

Rahman signed to fight at the 14st 4lb cruiserweight limit of 200lb, despite being 16 stone in his last fight in April.

So the New York State Athletic Commission wanted to track his cut but later changed the fight weight to 205lb.

Paul then spoke out to claim Rahman refused the change and would scale no less than 215lb, prompting the MSG card to be axed.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

But Rahman denied the allegations and staged a private weigh in to prove he could make the new 205lb limit.

The heavyweight actually came in at 206.6lb – nearly 2lb overweight – but called to fight Paul next week – believing he can make 200lb.

Rahman said: “The original date for this fight was August 13th, that was the original date. They moved it forward.

“Did they move it forward because they wanted to give me less time? Did they move it forward because of whatever reason? I dunno.

“But had the fight been next Saturday, I probably would have made 200. But you know, it’s unfair that he pulled the plug like that.”

Paul, 25, initially announced his boxing return for August 13 but changed it to a week earlier after signing to fight Tommy Fury, 23.

Although Fury was forced out amid a US visa issue, which caused Rahman to step in.

After the NYSAC changed the weight to 205lb, Rahman had until 11.59pm to sign a deal for a new agreement.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He accused Paul of cancelling the fight four hours beforehand, giving him no chance to commit to the fresh terms.

But SunSport understands Paul’s team were informed hours before the public cancellation that Rahman could not make the weight.

And Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza – who was putting the PPV on his platform – added to this claim.

Espinoza tweeted: “He repeatedly assured us he would make 200. He signed a contract saying he’d make 200.

“And he sent us a video showing that he weighed 216 when he signed the contract a month before the fight. Shame on us for believing him.”

He added: “205 was max limit. Over 205 the fight was off, and he told us he couldn’t go lower than 215.”

Jake Paul and Hasim Rahman Jr before their fight cancelation

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Premier League

MANCHESTER UNITED legend Gary Neville has claimed the club need £1BILLION to rebuild Old Trafford. Following United’s humiliating 4-0 defeat to Brentford, Neville went...

Premier League

ANTONIO CONTE faces one of the biggest tests of his managerial mettle so far as he heads to former club Chelsea, where he won...

Premier League

CHELLSEA flop Timo Werner netted a 25-yarder on his second RB Leipzig debut – thanks to a huge keeper error. The Germany striker saw...

Premier League

MANCHESTER UNITED should have tried to land Conor Coady to cover the shortfalls of ex-captain Harry Maguire. That’s according to former Arsenal playmaker Paul...

Premier League

IT has been 23 long years, but Nottingham Forest finally have Premier League football back at the City Ground as they take on West...

Premier League

NOTTINGHAM FOREST are close to finalising the moves of Emmanuel Dennis, Cheikhou Kouyate and Remo Freuler. Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis and manager Steve Cooper...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook