CANELO ALVAREZ has claimed he would have beaten Floyd Mayweather had he faced him in his prime.
The 32-year-old Mexican took on five-weight world champion Mayweather way back in 2013 when he was just 23.
Mayweather beat a young Alvarez back in 2013
And he was comprehensively outboxed in Las Vegas as Mayweather, then 36, claimed a decision victory.
Since then, Canelo has gone on to win world titles in four different weight classes.
He was widely considered to be the pound-for-pound No1 before his defeat to Dmitry Bivol in May – his first loss since facing Mayweather nine years ago.
And Alvarez feels he would have gotten the better of the American if he had been the more rounded, seasoned professional that he is now.
Speaking to GQ Sports, he said: “I think it’s difficult to say because that’s never going to happen [facing Mayweather again].
“But I am sure that in my prime he would never beat me.”
Canelo is preparing to try and bounce back from the defeat to light-heavyweight Bivol when he drops back down to super-middleweight to face Gennady Golovkin for a third time on Saturday night.
The pair fought to a controversial draw back in 2017 – a clash many felt Golovkin won.
The following year the two then met again in a rematch, with Canelo edging a decision.
Four years on, the legendary duo are now set to complete a trilogy in Vegas this weekend.
And Alvarez is unwavering in his prediction that he will knock Golovkin out.
After years of bad blood, Canelo said: “I just want to punish him really hard. He pretends to be a nice person but he’s not.
“He talks a lot of s*** about me and that’s what I don’t like. He’s a great fighter but as a person? I don’t think so.
“It’s one of the biggest fights of my life because of the rivalry and this third fight will be the most important.
“The rivalry goes back years and I love that it’s personal. It makes me train like crazy.
“I listen to what he says but at the end of the day, he is just making excuses. I listen but don’t take it to heart.
“What I don’t like is when it comes to talking in person, he lies. I know I won both fights, I have nothing to prove.”
Frequently Asked Questions
How do beginner boxers train?
Boxing is one among the oldest sports. However, boxing has become very popular in recent years. Boxing is a sport where two fighters face off against each other in a ring. They punch one another until one falls.
To become a boxer, you must first find out what boxing is like. You can watch some boxing matches on YouTube to feel how it feels hitting someone. After you have decided if you are interested in boxing, you can choose the style of fighting that you like.
What are the benefits of boxing?
Boxing has many health benefits. Boxing is good for building strong bones and muscles. Boxing improves coordination and reflexes. It also strengthens the heart and lungs. The best thing about boxing is that it doesn’t require any special equipment. You can use almost anything around your home.
Where can I buy boxing gear?
You can purchase boxing equipment online from many places. These include Amazon, eBay and Walmart. Ross and TJ Maxx offer great deals on boxing gear at a fraction of the cost.
Look into reputable brands like Warrior and Golden Glove if you are looking to buy quality boxing gear.
What is the best way to practice boxing punches in your home?
Boxing punches are practiced using a punching bag. You punch the bag until you feel like you’ve mastered the technique. Next, you’ll move on to the next part of your body. Once you feel confident with the area, move on to next.
How long does boxers train for a day?
Boxing trainers typically train for at least four hours per day. They spend time learning new moves and practice their punches, as well as studying boxing techniques. Boxers spar 10 times per week.
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
How do I set up a boxing gym at my house?
Anyone who wants to open a business is often asked how to set-up a boxing studio. Many people wonder how much money to spend on equipment, what space is necessary, how many staff they require, etc. The cost of starting a business can be affected by many factors. Some of these factors are location, type and number of employees, budget, competition, etc. One thing most people overlook is the importance and value of good equipment. You can’t start if you don’t have the right equipment. Here are some suggestions to help you start a gym for boxing at home.
- You need to have somewhere you can train. A garage, basement, spare room or even the living room would work just fine. Only one requirement: There must be enough space for the equipment to be set up.
- You need a punching bag (or two). This is important as you won’t learn how to punch without one. It can be anything from a cheap plastic bag to a heavy leather bag. It should be large enough to comfortably fit you. You should also ensure it is durable and strong so it can last many years.
- You will need a mat. Matting protects floors and walls from kicks. It is usually made out of foam rubber. They can be purchased online as well as in offline shops.
- You will need a bench. A bench is used to support your back while you do pushups. You can buy them online or in-store. But make sure to choose the right size.
- You need a speedbag. Speedbags help you develop quick hand movements. They can be purchased from online or offline stores. You want to make sure you get a high-quality product that will last.
- You will need a headgear. You need a headgear to protect your head while sparring. It can be purchased from online stores or offline stores. Make sure you get something that fits and protects your face.
- Gloves are required. Gloves are used to protect your hands during sparring sessions. These gloves are available online and in offline shops. You can choose the pair that best suits you and your style.
- A mouthpiece is essential. You can use mouthpieces to protect your teeth during sparring sessions. These are available online and in offline shops. Choose the right pair for you.
- You will need a ring. Rings can be used to simulate real fights. You can purchase them either online or offline. You should ensure that the padding is on both sides to prevent injuries during sparring sessions.
- You need a towel. To wipe away sweat after each session, towels are necessary. You can find them at your local sporting goods shop or online. They should be soft and absorbent.