JAKE PAUL has opened up on how boxing prevented him from his life spiralling out of control on drink and drugs.
The American shot to fame on social media app Vine and later YouTube along with his brother Logan.
Jake Paul formerly lived a life of partying
And in pursuit of fame and fortune, both moved to Los Angeles where their life moved in the fast lane.
But it almost became too much for Paul until thankfully a shock career in boxing helped turn his life around.
He bravely told DAZN: “I was drinking, doing drugs, doing all sorts of crazy s*** in Los Angeles, not being myself.
“Because that’s what happens when you’re drinking like that and doing those things like that.
“I needed something to save me and boxing showed up out of nowhere.
“I definitely worry – that side of me is the Problem Child side of me – that can get involved in those of things.
“But everybody has a story and I’m just now comfortable telling that story because I was kind of embarrassed by it.
“I didn’t know if I could talk about those things, I didn’t want to say that I had those problems or was doing those things.
“But I was like, if I can share my story about that and finding boxing and saving me then maybe someone else will be able to relate.”
Paul, 26, made his professional boxing debut in 2020, beating online rival AnEsonGib.
It kickstarted a polarising prizefighting career which has seen the social media sensation headline around the world.
He even moved out of LA in late 2020 to rid of any distractions, since building an isolated base in Puerto Rico.
Paul has wins over ex-MMA champions Ben Askren, 38, Tyron Woodley, 41, and Anderson Silva, 48.
But he was beaten in his last bout in February by boxer Tommy Fury, 23, losing a split-decision in Saudi Arabia.
Paul now returns on August 5 in Texas against ex-UFC star Nate Diaz, 38, in a bid to prove he can bounce back from defeat.
And having seen boxing change his life, the Most Valuable Promotions boss insisted he will be a mainstay in the sport.
Paul said: “One hundred per cent, always. Promoting fights, helping fighters, using my platform.
“I’ve even thought about getting my referee’s licence. Wouldn’t that be funny? Wouldn’t that be funny, if I’m like in the ring, refitting a match?”
Jake Paul in training for his next fight
Frequently Asked Questions
How can a beginner start boxing at home?
Boxing is one of the oldest sports known to man. Boxing was initially developed by ancient warriors to defeat enemies. Boxing is still widely practised today. You don’t even need to go to a gym to box. You will need some gloves, punching bag, and some friends to spar.
Amateur boxing clubs can be found in your area where you can get trained by professionals. When you are proficient in basic punches and combinations you will be ready to compete at tournaments.
What are the 7 punches used in boxing?
These seven punches are: jab cross, hook hook, uppercut straight right, left hook and body shot. These punches are used to attack the opponent’s head, body, and legs.
How much weight should I lift to be a successful shopper?
You must lift weights if your goal is to increase strength. However, there are certain guidelines you should keep in mind when lifting weights. You should not overdo it. Second, try to lift heavier weights every other day. Third, do each exercise 8 times. Fourth, take a break between sets for 2 minutes. Fifth, all exercises should be performed without momentum. Finally, be focused on form, not speed.
Are you able to learn how to box?
Yes, it is possible to learn how to box. It is easy to find a gym that offers boxing classes in your area and then join one. Although most gyms offer free classes to their members, it is possible to search Google for other local boxing clubs.
You’ll also need some equipment like gloves, mouthpiece, headgear, and sparring partners. Once you have this equipment, it’s time to start practicing your kicks.
What is the best way to practice boxing punches in your home?
A punching bag can be used to practice boxing punches. You punch the bag until you feel like you’ve mastered the technique. Then you move onto another part of your body. Once you feel confident with the area, move on to next.
How to defend yourself:
Protect your head when you are being attacked. It is your goal to not get punched. To do so, you need to know how to block an incoming punch. Here are the steps:
- Stand tall and square yourshoulders.
- Keep your elbows close together.
- Your forearm can block the punch coming from your opponent.
- Counterattack immediately.
- Continue blocking until you see the attacker run away.
- Keep fighting for your rights.
How to throw a jab
To throw a jab, simply follow this simple step-by-step guide:
- Get up with both feet.
- Elevate your arm over your shoulder.
- Place your fist on the target.
- After hitting your target you should swing your arm up.
- Repetition steps 1 through 4.
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
How do you set up a Boxing Gym within your House?
Anyone who wants to open a business is often asked how to set-up a boxing studio. Many people are curious about how much equipment they should purchase, what type of space they need, and how many employees they will require. There are many factors that can affect the cost of starting your business. Location, type of business and number of employees are all important factors. But one thing that most people forget is the importance of having good equipment. If you don’t have any equipment then you cannot get started. Here are some helpful tips if you want to open a boxing studio in your own home.
- You will need somewhere to train. The space you need to train can be found in the garage, basement and spare rooms, as well as in the living room. Only one thing is required: there must be enough room to install the equipment.
- A punching bag is essential. This is very important because without a punching bag you won’t be able to practice punches. It can be anything, from a lightweight plastic bag to an expensive leather bag. It must be big enough for you to carry it comfortably. You will also want it to last for many years.
- You will need a pad. Matting is used to protect floors and walls when practicing kicks. It is usually made of foam rubber. These products can be ordered online or offline.
- You need a bench. The bench can be used to support the body during pushups. They can be ordered online or in local stores. You should ensure that you select the right size.
- Speedbags are essential. Speedbags allow you to make quick hand movements. They can be purchased online or in stores. Make sure that you buy a quality product which will last long.
- You need a headgear. For sparring, you will need to use a headgear. You can purchase it online or in stores. Be sure to find the perfect fit and protect your face.
- You need gloves. Gloves are used to protect your hands during sparring sessions. These gloves can be bought online or in stores. You can choose the pair that best suits you and your style.
- A mouthpiece is essential. Mouthpieces can be used to protect your smile during sparring sessions. These can be purchased online and offline. Choose the pair that suits you best.
- A ring is essential. Rings are used in real fight simulations. They can be purchased offline or online stores. To ensure you aren’t hurt during sparring sessions, make sure it has padding on both ends.
- You will need a towel. To wipe your sweat off after every workout, use a towel. They can either be purchased at your local sporting good store or online. Make sure that they’re soft and absorbent.