JAMES TILLIS is not a name that rolls of the tongue for many boxing fans – but he is someone that Mike Tyson certainly remembers.
However, the now 65-year-old American is adamant that the Baddest Man on the Planet was not the hardest puncher he took on.
Former boxer James Tillis took on the biggest names in boxing
He took Mike Tyson the distance back in 1986
The former heavyweight boxer amassed a 20-0 record to land a WBA title shot against Mike Weaver in 1981, a bout he lost on points.
In an attempt to bounce back and get back into championship contention, Tillis took on the late Earnie Shavers.
Shavers was 37 at the time but he still possessed incredible punching power – something Tillis felt first hand in round nine as he was floored.
Despite that, he managed to climb off the canvas to win a ten-round unanimous decision.
Unfortunately, he was unable to continue that progress and suffered three defeats in 1982 and 1983 to fall out of the title picture.
He then lost five out of six between 1984 and 1986 – the last of which came against a then 19-year-old Tyson.
Iron Mike was a wrecking machine at the time and had recorded 19-straight knockouts as he surged towards superstardom.
But the stubborn Tillis managed to stand firm and go the distance, surviving a fourth round knockdown, where he lost via a unanimous decision.
CASINO SPECIAL – BEST ONLINE CASINOS FOR 2023
Tyson went on to become the youngest-ever heavyweight champ while Tillis would later take on other legendary names such as Evander Holyfield and Frank Bruno.
Even though he has faced all of the big guns, Tillis is in absolutely no doubt who possessed the hardest punch.
Speaking previously to Boxing News 24/7, he said: “People ask me about Tyson and Shavers – let me tell you, there’s no comparison. None whatsoever.
“Shavers, he hit so hard he could turn horse p*** into gasoline. He hit so hard he could bring back tomorrow.
“Tyson hit like a sissy in comparison.”
Tillis added: “I beat Shavers, and I know I beat Tyson. I wanted a rematch with Tyson real bad, but Shavers? No way.
“When he hit me and knocked me down, I saw pink mice and rats smoking cigarettes.
“That fight was the toughest 30 minutes of my life. The Acorn was one bad dude, let me tell you.”
Tillis claims that Tyson refused to give him a rematch
The American says that Iron Mike was nowhere near the hardest punch he ever took
He claims that Earnie Shavers ‘hit so hard he could turn horse p*** into gasoline’
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to practice boxing punches in your home?
Boxing punches are practiced using a punching bag. The bag is used to practice boxing punches until you feel confident. You can then move on to another area of your body. Once you feel confident with the area, move on to next.
What is the best way to learn boxing without fighting?
Boxing can only be learned if you are willing to fight. It is important to put in the effort to improve your boxing. It is possible to improve your boxing technique.
The first step towards improving your boxing technique is to watch some good boxers fight. You should observe how they move, throw punches and defend themselves. Try to imitate their movements.
Next, you need to spar with another boxer. This is where you’ll see whether you’ve improved your boxing technique. When you spar, you’ll also notice how fast you can punch, how strong your punches feel, and how well you block incoming punches.
Finally, practice your boxing skills with drills. You can improve your boxing skills with practice, so be patient.
What does it take to become professional boxer?
To become a professional boxer, it takes dedication and years of hard work. To become a professional fighter, you will need to devote at least 10 hours per weeks to training.
What are the benefits to learning how to box?
You should be aware of the following factors if you are interested in learning how to box:
- It increases confidence. Boxing will teach you how to deal with bullies and other bullies.
- It is good for your health. Boxing can help build muscle mass. Muscle mass is what makes you stronger.
- It teaches you self-defense skills. You learn how fight and how to protect yourself.
- It develops your mental toughness. When you face challenges, mental toughness is essential.
- You will feel proud of yourself. Once you’ve mastered a certain technique, you’ll feel like a real boxer.
- It’s fun! It’s fun!
- It’s cheap. All you need are a pair of punching bags and boxing gloves.
- It doesn’t need much space
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- Amazon.com: Ringside Diablo Wrestling Boxing Shoe – Clothing, Shoes & Jewellery
- Amazon.com – Sanabul Boxing Wraps Elastic 180in Red — Sports & Outdoors
How do I setup a Boxing Gym in My House
How to setup a boxing gym is a common question asked every day by people who want to start their own business. Many people wonder how much money to spend on equipment, what space is necessary, how many staff they require, etc. The cost of starting a business can be affected by many factors. Some of these factors are location, type and number of employees, budget, competition, etc. However, most people neglect the importance of quality equipment. You cannot start if there isn’t the equipment. Here are some helpful tips if you want to open a boxing studio in your own home.
- You will need somewhere to train. You can use your garage, basement, spare bedroom, or living room to train. It is only necessary that enough space exists to allow for equipment installation.
- You will need at least one punching bag. This is vital because you won’t have the ability to practice punches without it. It can be anything from a cheap plastic bag to a heavy leather bag. It should be large enough to comfortably fit you. Make sure it’s durable and sturdy so you can use it over the years.
- You will need a mat. When practicing kicks, mats are used to protect walls and floors. Matting is typically made from foam rubber. They can be bought online or offline stores.
- You will need a bench. A bench is used to support your back while you do pushups. These can be bought online or in stores. But make sure to choose the right size.
- A speedbag is essential. Speedbags allow you to make quick hand movements. You can buy them from either online or offline shops. Be sure to buy quality products that last.
- Headgear is necessary. Headgear is used to protect your head during sparring sessions. It can either be purchased online or in a physical store. You should ensure that the product you select fits your face well.
- You need gloves. Gloves can be used to protect your hands while sparring. They can be ordered online or at local shops. Choose a pair that suits your needs and style.
- You will need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces are used for protecting your teeth during sparring sessions. You can purchase these online or offline stores. Choose the right pair for you.
- A ring is essential. Rings can be used to simulate real fights. You can purchase them either online or offline. So that you don’t get injured during sparring, ensure it has padding both sides.
- You will need a towel. To wipe off sweat after any workout, you will need to use towels. They can either be purchased at your local sporting good store or online. Make certain that they are soft and absorbent.