HASIM RAHMAN JR claimed Jake Paul dodged a bullet and saved his boxing career after their cancelled fight.
Paul on Sunday faces Tommy Fury, who was forced to pull out in December 2021 due to injury and again last August amid US visa issues.
Jake Paul and Hasim Rahman Jr before their cancelled fight
On the second occasion, heavyweight Rahman signed as a late replacement but was forced to come down TWO STONE to 200lb.
The New York State Athletic Commission later changed the bout to 205lb, but even then the two sides disagreed.
Eventually, the fight was scrapped with Rahman, 31, going on to sign for KSI’s Misfits Boxing banner after the ordeal.
He did hold an unoffical weigh in the day before the proposed bout to prove he could make the catchweight limit – but hit the scales at 206.6lb.
Meanwhile Paul, 26, instead returned last October to beat UFC legend Anderson Silva, 47, living to fight another day in Rahman’s eyes.
He told SunSport: “He dodged a bullet, even when we were going to 205. That extra 5lb was literally all I needed.
“Had it actually been fight week, who knows? Maybe I would have actually made 205. I made 206 and weighed in like an hour early.
“Jake Paul’s team knew what they were doing, they knew not to give me any time to get ready, they wouldn’t put him in that position.
“They all were telling him he was making a mistake by fighting me in the first place.”
After Rahman’s cancellation, Fury, 23, becomes the first opponent with a recognised boxing record Paul will face.
He has instead recorded wins over ex-MMA champions in Ben Askren, 38, Tyron Woodley, 40, and Silva.
Paul twice beat ex-UFC welterweight champ Woodley, on points in August 2021 and then by KO in their rematch as Fury withdrew injured.
The American was taken the eight rounds – even punched through the ropes and threatened to retire – which later emerged as a joke.
But Rahman insisted the damage he was set to do on Paul would have been no laughing matter.
He said: “I don’t like Jake, I don’t like him. I think he would’ve retired from boxing, he wouldn’t have been able to go back to creator boxing.
“I think I would have hurt that man so bad, he would have been like, ‘I don’t think I want to do this anymore.’
“He had that aura about him after he fought Tyron Woodley the first time, he didn’t seem too sure on whether he wanted to keep doing this.
“I can guarantee you he would’ve been in five-ten times more pain and had to go through five-ten times as much with me than he did with Tyron Woodley.”
Paul is set to move down to a career-lowest 185lb against Fury, having largely boxed at 190lb.
Meanwhile Rahman was 226lb for his last fight, a loss to ex-NFL star and now heavyweight fighter, who weighed over SEVEN STONE more.
The weight disparity means the pair are not likely to ever cross paths and despite the bad blood, Rahman still backed Paul to beat Fury.
He said: “I think Jake wins a decision. I’m not sold on Jake’s power.
“I don’t know much about Tommy but I’ve seen him box in spots and I definitely think Jake’s gonna win a decision.”
Jake Paul and Tommy Fury ahead of their fight
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I improve my defensive capabilities in fighting?
You can improve your defense in fighting by learning how to fight smart. You must know how to defend against attacks from all angles, and you must also know how to counterattack if necessary.
You won’t be able to fight if you don’t know what fighting is. You’ll just get beaten up. You’ll just get beat up if you know how fight.
Here are some tips to help you improve your defense:
- Know the origin of your opponent’s attack. This means you should pay attention to what your opponent is saying. You should pay attention to his body language. If he seems nervous, that could be an indication of his next attack.
- Keep calm. Don’t panic. Instead, try to remain focused and relaxed.
- Block with the arms of your armour. You can defend yourself against attacks by blocking with your arms.
- Counterattack. You must immediately counterattack if you see your enemy attacking you.
- Fight dirty. Fighting dirty is another way of defending yourself. You can kick your opponent back if he throws a kick at it.
What is the best way to practice boxing punches in your home?
A punching bag is used to practice boxing punches. You punch the bag until you feel like you’ve mastered the technique. Then you move onto another part of your body. Once you feel confident with the area, move on to next.
How can I improve my punching technique?
Boxing’s most important aspect is punching form. For you to become a better boxer, your punch technique must be perfected. Here are some ways to improve your boxing technique.
- Keep your head high. When you are throwing punches, your head should be raised.
- Punch from your shoulder. When you throw a punch, try to hit the target from the shoulder instead of the chin.
- Your feet are your focus. Keep your feet still when you are punching.
- Send short, sharp punches. You will feel tired quicker if you throw longer punches.
- Don’t forget about defense! Always be ready to stop any incoming punches.
- Use your elbows. The best way to defend your self is with your elbows.
- You can learn to use your legs. Properly using your legs will help you avoid being knocked down.
- Do it every day. Even if you feel tired, continue training. It takes practice to become proficient at anything.
- Have fun Enjoy what you’re doing.
- Breathe. You will be stronger and have more energy if you breathe correctly.
- Relax. Do not worry about making mistakes. Don’t worry about making mistakes. Instead, focus on learning new skills.
- Be patient. Boxing takes practice. It takes time to master your skills.
- Never stop improving. As long as there’s room to improve, there’ll be more.
- Enjoy music. Listening to music during training can help you to relax and stay focused.
- See videos of professional boxers. It can inspire you to do better.
- Read books. Reading books can help you better understand boxing techniques.
- You need to take breaks. Sometimes, it is helpful to take a break from boxing. Play basketball or soccer outside.
- Look for a coach. Coaching can make you more efficient at boxing.
- Do push-ups. Push-ups help build strength and endurance.
How to defend yourself
Always protect your head when being attacked. You want to avoid being punched. You need to be able to block an incoming punch in order to avoid getting punched. Here’s how to do it:
- Keep your shoulders square and tall.
- Keep your elbows near your sides.
- Block the incoming punch using your forearm.
- Counterattack immediately.
- Continue blocking until you see the attacker run away.
- Don’t let your defense slip.
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
- Amazon.com – Ringside Diablo Wrestling Boxing Sneakers : Clothing, Shoes & Jewellery
- Amazon.com : Sanabul Boxing Handwraps Elastic 180 inch Red : Sports & Outdoors
Here are the Basic Skills of Boxing
How to box effectively
Boxing is one of the most popular sports in the world. It involves two people who attempt to knock each other out of their heads. Each country has its own rules. There are three main types of boxing: Amateur boxing, Professional boxing, and Olympic boxing.
Amateur boxing usually takes place at school, college and university. This type of boxing includes sparring sessions with padded gloves and without any protection. Amateur boxing matches usually consist of three rounds lasting five minutes each. There are many types of amateur boxing: Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Taekwondo.
Boxing is often practiced in gyms or clubs. They use protective equipment, such as mouthpieces, nose guards, shin protectors, elbow pads knee pads, waist belts and groin protectors. Six rounds of professional boxing last four minutes each. There are several different styles of professional boxing including Boxing, MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo and others.
Olympic boxing takes place at the Olympics. Boxers are required to wear international standards-compliant protective gear. Each round lasts three minutes and is made up of eight rounds. Olympic boxing can be divided into two types: Light Flyweight (Heavyweight) and Heavyweight (Light Flyweight).
The basics of boxing are:
- Punching techniques
- Guarding techniques
- Body movement
There are seven types. Each punch has its own technique. Some punches require more strength than others. An uppercut, for instance, requires tremendous strength. A straight punch, on the other hand requires less power and is quicker than other punches.
There are also many combinations. These are combinations that combine punches to accomplish a particular goal. An entire combination could have several parts. A left hook followed with a right-cross will cause injury to the opponent’s jaw.
To defend himself from being attacked, a boxer uses his entire body. He does this by using his legs.
A boxer must use his legs to defend against kicks. When he receives a kick, he raises his leg and moves away from the attacker. To avoid being kicked on the sides, he bends at his knees when the attacker strikes from the front. But if the attack comes in the back, he will stand straight and block the kick using his foot.
Elbow strikes are very powerful because they inflict great pain. An elbow strike may be delivered directly or in an indirect manner. Directly, you strike your opponent with your forearm. Indirectly, you hit him with another portion of your arm.
Boxers use the power of their hands to block any incoming blows. To do this, they raise their fists higher than their heads and move their arms in the direction that the attack is coming. The attacker’s fist is then in their face.
A boxer should bend his knees in order to absorb any blows to his stomach, abdomen, chest or stomach. For defense purposes, knee strikes are common.
When attacked, a boxer should step back and deliver counter-attacks. This allows him to put distance between himself, his opponent, and the ring. In addition, when delivering a counter-attack, a boxer should keep his balance.
Boxing effectively requires a boxer to have a good stance. How he defends his self will depend on how he stances. It dictates how he places his body and faces his opponent. There are many positions that boxers can adopt. These are some of our most favorite:
- Low stance
- High stance
- Southpaw stance
- Western stance
To win a fight, a fighter must move around the opponent. This involves changing positions, speed, rhythm and timing.
To increase his punching power, a boxer rotates when he throws a punch. You can rotate at different speeds depending upon the punch.
The effectiveness of a combination depends on the timing of each individual punch. A good combination starts with a strong punch and ends with a weak one.
Sparring is a practice session designed to improve boxing skills . Sparring is a training session that helps a boxer train his mind and body. The purpose of sparring is, in short, to learn how fight and not get hurt.
It is important to be patient and dedicated when learning how to box. To become a better boxer, you must train hard and for a long time.