JOE JOYCE reckons Anthony Joshua’s comeback opponent proves he is in no rush to return to the top of the heavyweight division.
The 37-year-old Putney ace was a long-time training and sparring partner for AJ before he won gold at London 2012 and Joyce was robbed of the same medal at Rio 2016.
Anthony Joshua will throw down with Jermaine Franklin in April
The fight will be Joshua’s first since his back-to-back losses to Oleksand Usym
The fight has been mocked by former sparring partner Joe Joyce
But the former Team GB team-mates are now on a giant collision course and the Juggernaut jokes he cannot even mention Joshua’s name – when reacting to the announcement of his April 1 fight with Jermaine Franklin – for fear of kicking up a controversy.
Joyce, who is in a far more competitive fight with fellow 6ft 6in Olympic silver winner Zilhei Zang on April 15, refused to say AJ’s name but laughed over Zoom from his Las Vegas camp as he compared him to Harry Potter villain Lord Voldemort.
“It’s something he has to do,” he said about AJ’s underwhelming return. “I guess he wants to take the long route back. He who shall not be named.
“I went to the Olympics, I turned professional at 31 and I’ve had to get a move on.
“Me and my team have strategically made the right steps. I’ve boxed all over the world, on all the channels. To get to the top you have to plan out your route.
“I’ve delivered in all of my fights, I’m on a mission.”
Joyce was a fine art student, shot putter, triple jumper, rugby player and American cheerleader before he took up boxing aged 21.
Despite all his athletic ability and granite chin, he was always written off as too slow and stiff to beat the best heavyweights in the division.
CASINO SPECIAL – BEST ONLINE CASINOS FOR 2023
But he is on a thrilling run of form after jabbing Daniel Dubois into submission and collapsing Joseph Parker with a monstrous left hook.
He looks a better fighter than the novice who lost an amateur contest to reigning WBA, IBF and WBO king Oleksandr Usyk back in 2013 and fans are beginning to be convinced by him.
“I have noticed fans liking me more,” he said.
“It started with the Dubois fight and the next one was the Parker win.
“People are really getting on board and seeing what I am made of.
“People are starting to see that I am not just ‘Slow Joe’ or ‘Robotic Joe’. I actually do some damage and I have skills.
Joe Joyce will face China’s Zhilei Zhang on April 15
“I am not the finished article, I am always in the gym learning and trying to improve
“If you look at my earlier fights, if you look at my fight with Usyk, my technique is not very good and I do look very robotic.
“I guess maybe when people are used to looking at other weights and the way I throw punches it may look slower but I’m aiming to improve on my weaknesses.”
Joyce reunited with Usyk in December when the pair jumped onto the Tottenham ring apron after Tyson Fury’s battering of Derek Chisora.
The 36-year-old Ukraine ace looks set to secure an undisputed decider with the WBC Gypsy King on April 29 in Saudi Arabia.
And the west London KO artist says he will be on hand once again to stir up some trouble and hopefully seal his overdue shot at a world title.
“I’d love to get down to Saudi and watch the fight live,” he said.
“I’ll get in the ring, call whoever wins out. Turn up, cause a fuss and walk out.”
Frequently Asked Questions
How to throw an emu jab
To throw a jab, simply follow this simple step-by-step guide:
- Get up with both feet.
- Lift your arm up above your shoulder.
- Move your fist towards your target.
- Swing your arm back upwards after hitting your target.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4.
What are the 7 punches used in boxing?
The seven punches in boxing are jab, cross, hook, uppercut, straight right, left hook, and body shot. These punches will be used to attack the opponent’s head, body and legs.
How long does it take to learn to box?
Boxing can be considered one of the oldest and most well-known martial arts. The first recorded boxing match was held in China around 2200 BC. For thousands of years, boxing has been practiced. Today, boxing is still popular among athletes and celebrities. Boxing takes 10 months to master.
Because boxing involves so many movements, it is slow to learn. Each movement requires specific muscles to perform properly. So, it takes time to develop these muscles.
After you learn how to move your own body, you can practice any type of boxing. As you get more proficient at each technique, you will be able to improve your skills.
How many punches can a human take?
A punch is “a blow delivered by a fist”. A punch can only be taken once per person. If someone punches you in the face you are being punched. You cannot hit someone’s back. This would be two punches.
What is the difference between left hook and right cross?
A left-hand hook is thrown on the side of a body while a lateral cross is thrown on the front.
A left hook is thrown facing the opponent with the back hand. The elbow is bent 90° and the wrist is turned 45° toward the opponent.
The opponent is facing the palm and the elbow straight. A right cross is made. The opponent is facing the wrist.
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- Amazon.com : Ringside Diablo Wrestling Boxing Boots : Clothing, Shoes & Jewel
- Amazon.com – Sanabul Boxing Wraps Elastic 180in Red — Sports & Outdoors
How to set up a Boxing Gym in my House
A common question that people ask is how to set up a gym for boxing. Many people want to know how much they should spend on equipment and what size space is required. How many employees are needed? There are many factors that can affect the cost of starting your business. These factors include the location, type, number of employees and marketing budget. However, most people neglect the importance of quality equipment. You can’t start if you don’t have the right equipment. Here are some tips for setting up a boxing school in your home.
- You need to have somewhere you can train. You can use your garage, basement, spare bedroom, or living room to train. Only thing is that the equipment must have enough space.
- You will need at least one punching bag. It is crucial because you will not be able practice punches if you don’t have a punching bag. It can be anything, from a lightweight plastic bag to an expensive leather bag. You should ensure that the bag is large enough to accommodate you comfortably. Also make sure that it is sturdy and durable so that you can use it for years to come.
- You will need a mat. Matting protects floors and walls from kicks. It is often made of foam rubber. These can be purchased online or in-store.
- A bench is necessary. Bench is used to support your body while doing pushups. They can be purchased online or offline stores. However, make sure that you choose the right size for you.
- A speedbag is essential. Speedbags are useful for developing quick hand movements. They can be purchased online or in stores. It is important to ensure that you purchase a product of high quality and lasting value.
- You will need a headgear. You need a headgear to protect your head while sparring. It can be bought online or in-store. It is important to choose the right size and protection for your face.
- Gloves are essential. Gloves are needed to protect your hands during sparring sessions. You can purchase them online or in-store. Find the right pair for you.
- You will need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces are used to protect your teeth during sparring sessions. These can be purchased online or in-store. Choose the right pair for you.
- Rings are essential. Rings are used to simulate real fights. You can buy them online or offline. You should ensure that the padding is on both sides to prevent injuries during sparring sessions.
- You need a towel. To wipe away sweat after each session, towels are necessary. They can be purchased at local sporting goods store or online stores. You should ensure that they are absorbent and soft.