NATHAN HEANEY is the most popular British boxer you have probably never heard of.
The 33-year-old middleweight has just sold another stunning 1,300 tickets for his Saturday night showdown, making the former PE teacher one of the nation’s biggest boxing stars.
Nathan Heaney, Stoke’s middleweight sensation, sells 1,300 tickets single handed.
The ticket-selling sensation has a huge following thanks to his life-long links to Stoke City football club and has made the Telford International centre a new and surprise boxing hotbed.
The popular ace takes die-hard supporters an hour down the M6 to watch his all-action displays and his iconic entrance to Potters anthem Delilah has become a viral hit.
Heaney boxed throughout most of his childhood but only turned professional at 27, with hall-of-fame promoter Frank Warren.
And between them the plan is to take a huge fight to the Bet365 stadium – an incredible turnaround after he revealed he only flogged 60 tickets for his 2017 debut.
Ahead of his rematch with Jack Flatley – after the original September clash was cut short after five rounds due to Heaney suffering a horro cut, following an accidental clash of heads – Heaney explained his unlikely stardom.
He told SunSport: “I boxed in Bolton in my third fight, the show went out on Channel 5 but my bout was too early so wasn’t even televised.
“But my supporters stayed there to watch the televised part of the card and apparently all you could hear on the TV was ‘Delilah’ being sung over and over again.
“My social media support grew overnight then and it hasn’t really stopped. It has gone mad.
“Almost all of my fans are Stoke supporters too, so early on my manager Errol Johnson made sure most of my fights have been when we have been playing at home, so everyone can do both.”
Heaney won his last bout on a technical decision after this horror cut
Heaney started boxing under the guidance of his father Joseph, who tragically lost his battle with mental health in 2019.
Joseph’s prominent place in the Stoke City supporters’ association has contributed to Nathan’s popularity booming.
And he also made a touching prediction that has proved wonderfully poignant.
He told us: “If my dad just hung around for just a few weeks longer he would have seen us achieve so much.
“He used to tell all of his mates that I would get signed by Frank Warren, they probably all thought he was silly and so did I probably.
“But I have done it, I achieved the dream and it’s just a shame that he won’t be here to see it.
“Hopefully now I can go on to represent Stoke well, which is how my dad brought me up, then I can have a positive effect on people.
“It’s something that is private and personal to me but I would like to suggest to people suffering with mental health is that you have to try to keep going because you never know what could happen to turn things around.”
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you practice boxing punches.
Boxing punches are practiced using a punching bag. The bag is used to practice boxing punches until you feel confident. Then, move to the next area. Once you feel at ease with one area you will move on.
What can I do to practice my boxing defense?
Boxing is among the oldest forms of martial art known to man. Boxing is also one of most difficult sports to learn. You cannot just punch someone in his face and then knock him out. You have to be able to defend yourself against kicks and punches.
The first thing you need to do is find a boxing gym near you. Once you’ve found the right place to train, it’s time to purchase gloves and a headgear. Gloves protect the hands while headgear protects the head. A T-shirt and shorts are required.
Once you have all your equipment, you need to heat up. Start slow and build up speed. If you feel ready, get on the bag and start sparring with another boxer. Don’t fret if you don’t succeed. Try again until you get it right.
How many hours do boxers train in a single day?
Boxing trainers typically train for at least four hours per day. They also learn new moves and practice punches. Boxers often spar up to 10 times a week.
What’s the difference between a left cross and a left hook?
A left hook can be thrown from the side, and a right cross from the front.
The opponent is facing the back of the left hook. The elbow is bent 90°, and the wrist is turned 45° towards the opponent.
A right cross can be thrown with the palm facing towards the opponent’s face, and the elbow straight. The opponent is facing the wrist.
How to throw an emu jab
To throw a jab, simply follow this simple step-by-step guide:
- Move forward with both your feet.
- Raise your arm above your shoulder.
- Bring your fist down towards your target.
- Swing your arm back upwards after hitting your target.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4.
What is the average time it takes to learn to box.
Boxing is one among the oldest martial arts known. Around 2200 BC, China hosted the first boxing match. For thousands of years, boxing has been practiced. Boxing is still very popular with celebrities and athletes. However, it takes about 10 months to become proficient at boxing.
The reason why it takes so long to learn boxing is because it involves many different types of movements. To be able to perform each movement correctly, certain muscles are required. It takes time to train these muscles.
Once you have mastered the art of moving your body, you are ready to start learning any type or boxing technique. And over time, you’ll become more skilled at each technique.
How can I practice boxing without a partner?
You can also watch professional boxing matches live on TV if you don’t have a partner and want to learn boxing. You could also look for an amateur boxing club in your area. Amateur boxesing clubs usually hold regular training sessions. These sessions often involve sparring partners who hit the pads together.
Punching bags are another option for practicing boxing. Before hitting the bag, ensure that you are wearing gloves and protective gear.
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
How do I setup a Boxing Gym in My House
How to setup a boxing gym is a common question asked every day by people who want to start their own business. Many people want to know how much they should spend on equipment and what size space is required. How many employees are needed? There are many factors that can affect the cost of starting your business. These include where you are located, how many employees you have, the marketing budget and competition. One thing most people overlook is the importance and value of good equipment. You can’t start if you don’t have the right equipment. Here are some helpful tips if you want to open a boxing studio in your own home.
- You will need somewhere to train. The space you need to train can be found in the garage, basement and spare rooms, as well as in the living room. Only one thing is required: there must be enough room to install the equipment.
- A punching bag (or more) is essential. This is vital because you won’t have the ability to practice punches without it. It can be anything from a cheap plastic bag to a heavy leather bag. Make sure that it is big enough to fit you comfortably. It should be strong and durable to ensure that you can use it for many years.
- A mat is necessary. When practicing kicks, mats are used to protect walls and floors. Matting is typically made from foam rubber. They can be bought online or offline stores.
- A bench is a must. You can use a bench to support your body when you are doing pushups. These benches can be bought online and in physical stores. You should ensure that you select the right size.
- A speedbag is essential. Speedbags are useful for developing quick hand movements. These bags can be bought online or offline. Buy quality products that will last a long time.
- You will need a headgear. For sparring, you will need to use a headgear. You can purchase it online or in stores. Be sure to find the perfect fit and protect your face.
- Gloves are necessary. Gloves are used to protect your hands during sparring sessions. These gloves are available online and in offline shops. Find the right pair for you.
- A mouthpiece is required. Mouthpieces are used for protecting your teeth during sparring sessions. These can be purchased online and offline. You should choose the pair that best suits you and your needs.
- A ring is essential. Rings are used in real fight simulations. They can be purchased offline or online stores. It should have padding on both sides, so you don’t get hurt during sparring.
- A towel is essential. You need a towel to remove sweat after a workout. They can be purchased in your local sporting goods stores or online. They should be soft and absorbent.