TOMMY FURY left his sparring partner Danny Christie so impressed he rushed to the bookies to put a bet on the Jake Paul fight.
Fury is at last set to meet Paul in the ring – on Sunday in Saudi Arabia – having twice pulled out in the past due to injury and US visa issues.
Danny Christie pictured with Tommy Fury after sparring
Jake Paul ahead of his fight with Tommy Fury
The 2019 Love Island star prepared for the rescheduled grudge match in Bolton, at Alex Matvienko’s Elite Boxing Gym.
And they welcomed in bare-knuckle boxing veteran Christie, who was so convinced by what he saw he whacked a wager on Fury to beat Paul.
But he warned the 8-0 prospect to box smart and not let his heart rule his head with tensions running high in the celebrity boxing rivalry.
Christie told SunSport: “I’ve put a nice bet on him down at the bookies, I’m very confident he’ll get the win.
“But in my opinion, with this becoming a very personal affair he may become overzealous, he may – and I hope he doesn’t – go looking for the knockout.
“Once it turns into a firefight it’s anybody’s game and Jake Paul is a powerful lad as we know.
“But for me, the keys for victory for Tommy are just using his good boxing, using his good fundamentals, doubling and tripling up that jab.
“A lot of feints, a lot of movement and just busting him up over the first few rounds and just getting him frustrated and marking him up.
“I think Tommy can win quite easily if he sticks to his fundamentals but like I said, if it turns into a firefight, who knows? It’s anyone’s game.”
Christie was pleasantly surprised with Fury’s boxing fundamentals, revealing: “He nullified a lot of things that I like to do.
“I like to stand my ground and let them do the hard work but Tommy’s footwork was superior to mine.
“He had me doing all the things I don’t like to do, I was overarching, overextending, leaving my feet behind and he was making me pay.
“Any counters that I could get off, I was only landing single shots really, I couldn’t put anything together.
“He was quite elusive, when I landed one punch he was out of the way for the second, he was making me miss a lot.”
Paul has beaten ex-MMA champions in Ben Askren, 38, Tyron Woodley, 40, and Anderson Silva, 47, in the past two years.
But Fury, 23, will be the first opponent with a recognised boxing record that the YouTuber-turned prizefighter has faced.
And Christie believes Fury can make easy work of Paul if he sticks to a box-and-move game plan.
He said: “For whatever it’s worth, I think Tommy boxes the head off him.
“I think if Tommy sticks to his footwork and his jab with good fundamentals and keeps him long, and looking to set punches up after busting him up for a couple of rounds, I think he can get the job done quite easily.
“He could have him overextending and overreaching, he could have him down, he could have him stopped.
“But ultimately, I think Tommy wins on points.”
Jake Paul and Tommy Fury ahead of their fight
Frequently Asked Questions
How can a beginner start boxing at home?
Boxing is one the oldest known sports. Boxing was first developed to train warriors against their enemies in ancient times. Boxing can still be found all over the world. Boxing doesn’t require you to attend a gym. All you need is a pair of gloves, some punching bags, and a few friends to spar with.
Amateur boxing clubs can be found in your area where you can get trained by professionals. You’ll be ready for tournaments once you have mastered basic combinations and punches.
What are the potential benefits of learning to Box?
These are the reasons you need to learn how box.
- It builds confidence. Being able to box will help you face bullies and other bullies.
- It can improve your health. Boxing increases muscle mass. Muscle mass can make you stronger.
- It helps you to learn self-defense skills. When you learn how to fight, you learn how to protect yourself.
- It builds mental toughness. It is crucial to have mental toughness when faced with challenges.
- You will feel proud of yourself. You’ll feel like a true boxer once you master a technique.
- It’s fun! Nothing is more fun than being punched in a stomach.
- It’s cheap. You only need a pair boxing gloves and punching bag.
- It doesn’t require much space
What are the different types and uses of boxing gloves?
There are three types of boxing gloves available: mitts and fingerless mitts. There is padding around the fingers of mitten gloves. Fingerless mitts are not padded around the knuckles and still cover the fingers. Full-fingered gloves have padding around the entire hand.
Mittens are used for punching or hitting with the fist. Fingerless mitt gloves, also known as fingerless mitts, are used to punch or strike with the index finger’s knuckle. Boxing gloves with full-fingering are designed for punching with your entire fist.
How can beginners boxers train?
Although boxing is one of oldest sports, its popularity has increased only recently. Boxing is a sport that involves two fighters fighting each other in a boxing ring. They punch each others until one loses.
The first step towards becoming a boxer is to find out if you like boxing. You can watch some boxing matches on YouTube to feel how it feels hitting someone. Once you decide whether you would enjoy being a boxer, you’ll need to choose which style of fighting you’d prefer.
How do I practice boxing alone?
If you’re looking for a partner to practice boxing, you can watch boxing matches on television. Or you can find an amateur boxing club near you. Amateur boxing clubs hold regular training sessions. These sessions typically involve sparring partners, who often hit pads together.
Boxing can also be practiced using punching bags. Before hitting the bag you should make sure you are wearing protective gear, such as gloves.
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
How do you set up a Boxing Gym within your House?
How to setup a boxing gym is a common question asked every day by people who want to start their own business. Many people ask how much money they should spend on equipment, what kind of space is needed, how many employees do you think you need etc. There are many factors that can affect the cost of starting your business. Some of them include location, type of business, number of employees, marketing budget, competition etc. But one thing that most people forget is the importance of having good equipment. If you don’t have any equipment then you cannot get started. Here are some helpful tips if you want to open a boxing studio in your own home.
- You need a place where you can train. The space you need to train can be found in the garage, basement and spare rooms, as well as in the living room. Only one thing is required: there must be enough room to install the equipment.
- You need a punching bag (or two). This is important as you won’t learn how to punch without one. It can be anything, from a lightweight plastic bag to an expensive leather bag. It should be large enough to comfortably fit you. You will also want it to last for many years.
- You will need a mat. Matting protects floors and walls from kicks. It is often made of foam rubber. These products can be ordered online or offline.
- A bench is essential. The bench can be used to support the body during pushups. They can be purchased online or offline stores. But make sure to choose the right size.
- You need a speedbag. Speedbags help you develop quick hand movements. These bags can be bought online or offline. You want to make sure you get a high-quality product that will last.
- A headgear is essential. For sparring, you will need to use a headgear. It can be purchased from online stores or offline stores. Make certain that you choose something that fits well and protects your face.
- Gloves will be necessary. Gloves are used to protect your hands during sparring sessions. They can be purchased either online or offline stores. Select the pair that fits your style and needs.
- You need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces are used to protect your teeth during sparring sessions. These can be purchased online or in-store. Again, choose a pair that suits your style and needs.
- A ring is essential. Rings can be used to simulate real fights. You can purchase them either online or offline. Make sure that it has padding on both sides so that you aren’t injured during sparring sessions.
- A towel is essential. Towels are used to wipe sweat off after each workout session. They can be purchased at local sporting goods store or online stores. They should be soft and absorbent.