DEONTAY WILDER could be in for a £5.65million cut of Anthony Joshua’s huge fight with Tyson Fury after a US court ruled in his favour.
A trilogy fight clause in the American’s contract with the Gypsy King must be honoured by September 15, it has been decided.
However many within the boxing world reckon a payout will suffice to keep the Bronze Bomber at bay.
According to ring journalist Gareth A Davies, a deal including £5.65m and an agreement to fight at a later date may have to be thrashed out.
He told his Instagram: “It is a civil case so I think they can still sign the fight between Fury and Joshua.
“Wilder may get potentially $5m to $8m (£3.5m to £5.65m) and perhaps even an agreement to fight going forward.”
Fury, 32, thrashed Wilder in their February 2020 rematch, following a controversial draw in their first bout, and were due to fight for a third time.
The Gypsy King’s team claimed six months ago that the clause had expired amid the coronavirus pandemic.
CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH
But the Brit’s camp are now facing having to appeal a US court arbitration verdict in 35-year-old Wilder’s favour.
It is understood both Fury and Joshua will argue against having to contribute any funds to the step-aside bundle.
And Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn has also insisted that the saga will not impact the £500m unification showdown in Saudi Arabia on August 14.
Speaking in May of last year, Fury claimed he would rather fight Wilder again than pay him a penny to stand aside.
He told iFL TV: “Wilder’s got a rematch clause.
“Some newspaper reported that he wanted £10m to step aside.
“I’m not paying him no money to step aside, I’d rather take his scalp again.
“I’ll beat him in the ring and that’s how I’ll get him out the way, I wouldn’t pay him £2m to step aside – I’d rather give him another battering, hopefully the end of .”