THE purse bids for Tyson Fury’s Battle of Britain with Dillian Whyte have been delayed until January 18 amid an ongoing row over the fighters’ respective splits.
The WBC ruled late last year that Fury and Whyte would receive 80 and 20 per cent splits of the overall purse.
That split enraged Brixton banger Whyte, who has already taken legal action to ensure he’s given a bigger slice of the pie.
And Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren has revealed further negotiations have delayed the initial January 11 purse bids.
During an appearance on talkSPORT, the Queensberry Promotions chief said: “First of all, the purse bid’s been pushed back by a week now.
“That was done [Saturday], so the purse bid will be seven days after so I think it’s next Monday or Tuesday.
“As regarding the split, of course, they’re entitled to an appeal. I don’t think they’ll get anywhere because purse bids are based upon boxers’ previous earnings.
“Tyson’s last purse that [was] lodged with the WBC was £20 million and Dillian Whyte’s purse was £300,000, that’s why it’s at the split it’s at.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
“A situation in the last year I can think of is when Canelo fought against his mandatory at the time, Billy Joe Saunders, but Billy had just done a deal.
“There was no way he was going to get any 45 percent of a purse because the guy who generates the most money out of the two of them is Canelo.”
Warren reckons Whyte’s appeal of the WBC’s ruling will land flat on its face.
He continued: “Certainly when you’ve got a heavyweight generating the money that Tyson’s generating, there’s never gonna be that kind of split.
“That is not something that’s new, this has been this way for over 25 years at least. Most of the organisations operate this way and that’s what it is.
“They can make their appeal, nobody would in any way from our perspective say you can’t do that, but fact of the matter is I don’t think it will make a difference.”
Whyte’s promoter – Eddie Hearn – is adamant the interim WBC heavyweight champ deserves more than is currently on the table
He told talkSPORT: “There’s not really a huge amount of negotiations. There’s a ruling from the WBC of an 80-20 split.
“We don’t agree with that and we don’t feel like we should accept that so that will be appealed against via the WBC, via arbitration or via a legal process.
“Until that ruling is made, we’ll have to see where we’re at.
“If that’s the final ruling and we have to go to purse bids for that fight, we will bid what we believe the value of that fight is.
“Clearly right now we have a very different assessment of that value than other people according to the bids and offers that have been made to Dillian Whyte.”
WBC heavyweight king Fury plans to make the second defence of his title on March 26, with or without mandatory challenger Whyte.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Did you miss our previous article…