Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Boxing

Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou fight welcomed as ‘exciting nonsense’ by Eddie Hearn as he focuses on Dillian Whyte clash

TYSON FURY’S bid to fight UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou is just ‘exciting nonsense’, according to Eddie Hearn.

The Matchroom boss would much rather match the 33-year-old WBC king against mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte or former unified champ Anthony Joshua.

Tyson Fury recently called out UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou
Cameroonian KO artist Ngannou accepted The Gypsy King’s call-out

But the prospect of the pair meeting has been laughed off by Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn

But the Gypsy King has been having fun calling out the Cameroon knockout sensation on Twitter instead.

The 6ft 9in undefeated superstar has offered to fight The Predator under boxing rules but with the UFC’s dangerous 4oz gloves.

And Ngannou replied with an invite into the octagon with the standard boxing gloves instead.

Hearn would much rather Fury handled the serious business of negotiating a deal to face Whyte but is enjoying the show.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“I think it’s nonsense but it’s all good,” he said after launching his and DAZN’s stacked start to 2022.

“Anything that gets people talking is good.

JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)

“It is quite exciting to think of the prospect of Tyson Fury fighting Francis Ngannou in a ring or in a cage, wherever. But I don’t see it happening any time soon.

“Anything like that drives fan engagement, which is good, it’s good for Tyson and Francis Ngannou, boxing and the UFC.

“Anything that gets people talking is good news.”

Whyte is furious that the WBC have ordered him to accept just 20 per cent of the purse for his potential fight with Fury, especially as he is their interim champion.

Hearn expects Tuesday’s purse bids to be pushed back to help all parties come to an agreement and he confirms the always bullish Whyte – who has been the sanctioning body’s No1 contender since 2017 – has been drained by the frustration.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He said: “We swapped a couple of messages earlier this week and Dillian is not the type to accept anything that is not fair.

“I would be tired as well, if I was Dillian Whyte, but I think his team has done a good job of shielding him from a lot of it.

Dillian Whyte is the mandatory challenger for Tyson Fury’s WBC heavyweight title

“His management and legal team have put so much work in to get Dillian what he deserves and a lot of people would have quit a long time ago.

“Sometimes these things are a battle of endurance because it is legal letter after letter, case after case, petitions, just relentless work.

“But they are not going to give up and they will keep fighting for what they believe Dillian Whyte deserves.”

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Tennis

HE is the only Brit still in the running, smashing and volleying for a Wimbledon singles victory next weekend – but you would never...

Golf

TIGER WOODS’ chances of playing in the Open next week look grim, after he was forced to use a buggy on his return to...

Cricket

JOE ROOT and Jonny Bairstow left England dreaming of their most remarkable feat even of this remarkable summer.  It would have been unbelievable just...

Boxing

TYSON FURY was spotted at a Liverpool pub last weekend without his top on. The WBC heavyweight champion is currently living his best life...

Boxing

THE war of words between Saul Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin has intensified ahead of their September trilogy bout. Mexican star Canelo, 31, returns to...

Horse Racing

THIS week’s July Cup is the Perfect example of the perils antepost punters face. The 7-4 favourite Perfect Power is by no means guaranteed...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook