TYSON FURY has been warned he faces being “a step behind” the elusive Oleksandr Usyk as Tony Bellew made a U-turn in his fight prediction.
Fury, 34, and Usyk, 36, have been negotiating the heavyweight division’s first four-belt undisputed decider since the new year.
Tyson Fury facing off with Oleksandr Usyk
And despite talks dragging on, a fight date in Saudi Arabia on April 29 is being eyed.
The drawn out discussions have allowed for several opinions to alter on how the bout will play out.
And ex-cruiserweight world champion Bellew – who was sent into retirement by Usyk in 2018 – has also changed his mind.
He told JOE: “I’ve always thought Fury’s going to be too big, but the closer this has drawn I actually side towards Usyk.
“I think Usyk is the only one that can beat him. What I will say about Tyson Fury is, since linking up with SugarHill, his style has evolved massively.
“He is no longer a feather fisted fighter. He’s a heavy handed, pressure counter puncher.
“I think it’s one of the best transformations I’ve ever seen in a fighter.
“I’ve always thought he’s gonna be a really huge, awkward heavyweight that is a nightmare to fight, but now he’s a big, awkward, dangerous heavyweight.”
When is Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk? Date, TV channel – everything we know so far
Bellew points to Fury’s 2013 win over former cruiserweight Steve Cunningham, who dropped the Gypsy King, to strengthen his case.
He added: “The only problem is, at that kind of weight and that kind of size, he’s always going to be a step behind Oleksandr Usyk.
“Usyk has got the greatest footwork in the world. His feet are just exceptional.
“I understand the theory of Fury being the favourite going in, but if anyone is going to beat him, it’s going to be Oleksandr Usyk because he is quick enough to dart in and out all night.
“He is fit enough. He is sharp enough. To take [Fury’s] quote, the hardest he’s ever pushed was Steve Cunningham, a cruiserweight who dropped him.
“If you think Steve Cunningham’s style is hard, wait till you f***ing get in the ring with Oleksandr Usyk, mate.”
Tony Bellew was sent into retirement by Oleksandr Usyk
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I improve my punching technique?
Boxing’s most important aspect is punching form. To be a good boxer, you need to master the art of punching. Here are some tips to improve your punching form.
- Keep your head straight. While throwing punches, keep your head up.
- Punch from your shoulder. Try to punch from the shoulder, not the chin when you throw a punch.
- Your feet are your focus. Keep your feet still when you are punching.
- Use short punches that are quick. You will feel tired quicker if you throw longer punches.
- Don’t forget about defense! Always remember to block incoming punches.
- Use your elbows. To defend yourself, your elbows are a good option.
- Use your legs. Properly using your legs will help you avoid being knocked down.
- Keep practicing every day. Even if you feel tired, continue training. To be a good coach, you need to practice.
- Have fun Enjoy what you’re doing.
- Keep your eyes open and take deep, slow breaths. Being able to breathe properly will make you more powerful and provide you with energy.
- Relax. Do not worry about making mistakes. Be focused on learning new techniques.
- Be patient. Boxing is not easy. You will need to practice your boxing skills over time.
- Never stop learning. As long as there’s room to improve, there’ll be more.
- Enjoy music. Listening to music during training can help you to relax and stay focused.
- You can watch videos of professional boxers. It can inspire you to do better.
- Read books. Reading can help you understand boxing techniques better.
- Take breaks. Sometimes, it is helpful to take a break from boxing. Go outside and play basketball or soccer.
- Find a coach. Having a coach who knows boxing well can help you improve faster.
- Push-ups are a great exercise. Push-ups help build strength and endurance.
How can a beginner begin boxing at home
Boxing is one among the oldest sports known to mankind. Boxing was created in ancient times to help warriors fight off their enemies. Today, boxing is widely practiced all over the world. Boxing doesn’t require you to attend a gym. You will need some gloves, punching bag, and some friends to spar.
Amateur boxing clubs in your area can be joined and trained by professional coaches. When you are proficient in basic punches and combinations you will be ready to compete at tournaments.
What are the 7 punches used in boxing?
The seven punches used in boxing include the jab (cross), hook, uppercut; straight right; left hook; and body shot. These punches are used to attack the opponent’s head, body, and legs.
How to protect yourself
When you’re being attacked, you must always protect your head. You want to avoid being punched. To avoid being punched, you must learn how to stop an incoming punch. Here’s what you need to do:
- Stand tall and square yourshoulders.
- Keep your elbows in line with your sides.
- Block the incoming punch using your forearm.
- Counterattack immediately.
- Continue blocking until your attacker runs off.
- Don’t let your defense slip.
How many punches can a human take?
A punch is “a blow delivered by a fist”. The human body can only take one punch at a given time. If someone hits you in your face, it is punching. You cannot hit someone’s back. That would be two punches.
- This article received 39 testimonials and 89% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. (wikihow.com)
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
How do you set up a Boxing Gym within your House?
Anyone who wants to open a business is often asked how to set-up a boxing studio. Many people ask how much money they should spend on equipment, what kind of space is needed, how many employees do you think you need etc. The cost of starting a business can be affected by many factors. These factors include the location, type, number of employees and marketing budget. The importance of having quality equipment is something that many people forget. You can’t start if you don’t have the right equipment. Here are some tips for setting up a boxing school in your home.
- You need a place where you can train. A garage, basement, spare room or even the living room would work just fine. Only one requirement: There must be enough space for the equipment to be set up.
- A punching bag is essential. This is important as you won’t learn how to punch without one. You can use anything, from a plastic bag to a heavy-duty leather bag. It should be big enough that you can comfortably carry it. Also make sure that it is sturdy and durable so that you can use it for years to come.
- You will need a mat. Matting is used for protecting floors and walls during kick practice. It is usually made out of foam rubber. They can be purchased online as well as in offline shops.
- You need a bench. Bench is used to support your body while doing pushups. They can be purchased online or offline stores. But make sure to choose the right size.
- A speedbag is necessary. Speedbags help you develop quick hand movements. These bags can be bought online or offline. Be sure to buy quality products that last.
- You will need a headgear. Headgear is used to protect your head during sparring sessions. It can either be purchased online or in a physical store. You should ensure that the product you select fits your face well.
- Gloves are essential. Gloves protect your hands during sparring sessions. These gloves are available online and in offline shops. Choose a pair that suits your needs and style.
- You need a mouthpiece. Mouthpieces protect your teeth when sparring takes place. These are available online and in offline shops. You should choose the pair that best suits you and your needs.
- Rings are essential. Rings can be used to simulate real fights. These rings can either be purchased in an offline store or online. You should ensure that the padding is on both sides to prevent injuries during sparring sessions.
- You need a towel. Towels are used to wipe sweat off after each workout session. They can be purchased at local sporting goods store or online stores. You should ensure that they are absorbent and soft.