SONNY BILL WILLIAMS was stunned by a brutal knockout from his 48-year-old opponent in a major upset.
The former New Zealand rugby star, 37, took on MMA legend Mark Hunt in Sydney on Saturday night.
Sonny Bill Williams could not cope with the power of Mark Hunt
The ex-rugby ace was stunned and failed to recover
The New Zealander was knocked out in round four
Hunt produced a magnificent display to stun Williams
But things did not go to plan for the 6ft 4ins Aucklander.
Midway through the fourth round of the eight-round heavyweight bout, tubby Hunt went on the attack.
Williams could do nothing to stop the barrage of heavy blows.
And he was left down on his knees as the referee waved it off.
That in turn ripped away his unbeaten professional boxing record after nine straight wins.
Williams started his pro boxing career way back in 2009 with the aim of using the combat sport to improve him as a rugby player.
But since retiring from rugby in early 2021, he has focused fully on the ring.
Williams beat Waikato Falefehi by a unanimous decision last year and then flattened former Aussie Rules ace Barry Hall twice in his first-round KO win in March.
CASINO SPECIAL – BEST NEW CUSTOMER SIGN UP DEALS
Many expected him to maintain his winning streak against Hunt.
The All Blacks icon worked his way into the fight over the first three rounds, starting to take control and work out how to deal with Hunt’s short height but serious power.
However, it all went wrong in the fourth.
SBW was floored by a big right hand from Hunt but got up in time to beat the count.
Hunt refused to back off, though, and unleashed a relentless series of punches, to which Williams had no response.
And with the ex-UFC veteran refusing to give in, it was all over in a staggering result.
Williams dropped to his knees, gutted and hurt, as Hunt celebrated wildly with his kids – before announcing he was done.
Hunt said: “I’m smiling not because of the win, but I’m smiling because this is the last time I walked into a ring of combat of any sorts.
“My first thought after was ‘s*** I want to do that again!’, but no [I won’t be back in the ring again].”
Williams added: “I would like to say it was an honour to share the ring with Mark Hunt tonight, the Super Samoan.
“I tried my best but it wasn’t good enough.
“Not too much positives to take from that, but to share the ring with a legend like Mark, it was special.
“Also to see a lot of Polynesian brothers get a chance on the card was special. Whatever happens happens.”
THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY…SE is your go to destination for the best football, boxing and MMA news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheSunFootball and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunFootball.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to learn to box?
Boxing can be considered one of the oldest and most well-known martial arts. China recorded the first boxing match in 2200 BC. Boxing has been practiced over thousands of year. Today, boxing is still loved by celebrities and athletes. However, it takes about 10 months to become proficient at boxing.
The reason why it takes so long to learn boxing is because it involves many different types of movements. To be able to perform each movement correctly, certain muscles are required. It takes time and effort to build these muscles.
But once you’ve learned how to move your body, you can start practicing any type of boxing technique. Over time, each technique will become more difficult.
How to defend yourself:
Protect your head when you are being attacked. Your goal is to avoid getting punched in the first place. You must know how to stop an incoming punch. Here’s what to do:
- Elevate your shoulders high and straighten your shoulders.
- Keep your elbows close to your sides.
- Block the punch from coming with your forearm.
- Counterattack immediately.
- Continue blocking until your attacker runs off.
- Don’t let your defense slip.
How many punches is a human capable of taking?
A punch is defined as “a blow delivered from a fist”. Only one punch can be sustained by a human. When someone hits you in the face, he/she is punching you. You can’t hit him/her in the back. It would be impossible to hit him/her back with two punches.
How to throw your jab.
This guide will show you how to throw a jab.
- Move forward with both your feet.
- Elevate your arm over your shoulder.
- Keep your fist in front of your target.
- After hitting your target arm, lift your arm up.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4.
What are the main types of boxing glove?
There are three main types for boxing gloves: mitts or fingerless mitts. The padding around the knuckles of mitten gloves is called padding. Fingerless mitts, which do not provide padding around the fingers but cover them, have no padding at the knuckles. Full-fingered gloves have padding on the entire hand.
Mittens are useful for striking the fist or punching. Fingerless mitts gloves are designed for striking or punching with your index finger’s index finger. Boxing gloves with full-fingering are designed for punching with your entire fist.
Can you train yourself to box?
You can learn to box. Find a local boxing gym and sign up for a class. Most gyms offer free classes, but if you don’t see one nearby, you can always look up local boxing clubs on Google.
You’ll also need some equipment like gloves, mouthpiece, headgear, and sparring partners. Once you have this equipment, it’s time to start practicing your kicks.
- It is just like normal sparring with a partner, but you want to throw punches at 75% of your normal speed. (wikihow.com)
- You want to be running at roughly 75-80% of your top speed..5 mile slow, easy recovery jog at the end.X Research source 2Mix in long runs, shadow boxing, and short sprints on non-interval days. (wikihow.com)
- Amazon.com: Ringside Diablo Wrestling Boxing Shoes : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
- Amazon.com – Sanabul Boxing Wraps Elastic 180in Red — Sports & Outdoors
How do I setup a Boxing Gym in My House
Many people are curious about how to start a boxing business. Many people ask how much money they should spend on equipment, what kind of space is needed, how many employees do you think you need etc. The cost of starting a business can be affected by many factors. These factors include the location, type, number of employees and marketing budget. Most people don’t realize the importance to have good equipment. You cannot start if there isn’t the equipment. Here are some suggestions to help you start a gym for boxing at home.
- Training should be done in a safe environment. A garage, basement, spare room or even the living room would work just fine. It is only necessary that enough space exists to allow for equipment installation.
- You need a punching bag (or two). This is vital because you won’t have the ability to practice punches without it. It could be anything you like, from a simple plastic bag to a sturdy leather bag. It should be large enough to comfortably fit you. Also make sure that it is sturdy and durable so that you can use it for years to come.
- A mat is necessary. When practicing kicks, mats are used to protect walls and floors. Matting is typically made from foam rubber. These products can be ordered online or offline.
- A bench is essential. You can use a bench to support your body when you are doing pushups. These can be bought online or in stores. Be sure to select the right size.
- Speedbags are essential. Speedbags allow you to make quick hand movements. You can purchase them online or in-store. Buy quality products that will last a long time.
- Headgear is necessary. Headgear is used to protect your head during sparring sessions. It can either be purchased online or in a physical store. Be sure to find the perfect fit and protect your face.
- Gloves are required. Gloves can be used to protect your hands while sparring. You can purchase them online or in-store. You can choose the pair that best suits you and your style.
- A mouthpiece is necessary. Mouthpieces can be used to protect your smile during sparring sessions. These are available online and in offline shops. Again, choose a pair that suits your style and needs.
- You will need a ring. Rings can be used to simulate real fights. These rings can either be purchased in an offline store or online. It should have padding on both sides, so you don’t get hurt during sparring.
- Towels are essential. To wipe away sweat after each session, towels are necessary. They can either be purchased at your local sporting good store or online. Be sure they are soft, absorbent, and comfortable.