Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Boxing

Woodley says he took a ‘dive’ in Jake Paul rematch but insists it wasn’t ‘on purpose’ as he was ‘hit with some s**t’

FORMER UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has sarcastically claimed he took a ‘dive’ in his rematch with Jake Paul.

The Chosen One was on the receiving end of a viral KO in the sixth round of his second clash with the YouTuber, which some observers thought was fixed.

Tyron Woodley was on the receiving end of a viral KO from Jake Paul last month
The Chosen One was accused of taking a ‘dive’ after the fight

But Woodley insists his ‘dive’ was the result of Paul’s vicious overhand right

Woodley, 39, has seen the claims he was paid to take a ‘dive’ and has jokingly concurred with his detractors – insisting his faceplanting of the canvas was the result of Paul’s well-timed overhand right.

During an appearance on The MMA Hour, he jokingly said: “Yeah, I took a motherf***in’ dive.

“But it wasn’t on purpose, that motherf***er hit me with some shit.”

Woodley became the butt of several jokes after the first clean KO loss of his combat sports career, with some of his fellow MMA fighters also firing shots.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

But the Missouri mauler insists Paul would get the better of a lot of them.

He said: “A lot of people are saying that, ‘Oh, you lost to him again. You got knocked out.’

“He would literally f**k a lot of y’all up.

“MMA fighters and other people that are just bumping at the gums. He’s an athletic kid that don’t have no job beyond this.

“He don’t have no kids, he don’t have no businesses he’s running.

“He can have the best trainer, the best coaches, the best nutrition, the most focus – he can separate himself.

“He don’t have the financial burden. Most MMA fighters, when we first start, we don’t have money. We do what we can do.

“We get whatever training we get can help us out to see a future in this.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Woodley has already made peace with his spectacular defeat to the former Disney star but still can’t help lament the split-second he dropped his left hand in the sixth stanza.

Tyron Woodley plans to compete again this year and is targeting a showdown with Dan Hardy

He asked: “Why, man? Why did I drop my hand at that moment time.”

The former Strikeforce star later said: “Had I not dropped that hand, had I continued to fight the way it was going, we would’ve been looking at something different.

“So I just gotta, you know, take the bitter with the sweet and keep it moving.”

Woodley has vowed not to hang up his competitive gloves following the brutal loss and is currently targeting a showdown with former UFC welterweight title challenger Dan Hardy.

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Tennis

TENNIS star Emma Raducanu swapped the court for a car as she took a Porsche out for a spin at Brands Hatch. The 19-year-old...

Boxing

TYSON FURY continued to enjoy his retirement from boxing as he danced topless with wife Paris while away on holiday. The Gypsy King is...

Boxing

CHRIS EUBANK JR has “it could’ve easily kicked off” when he ran into rival Conor Benn backstage at the Sport Industry Awards. The pair...

Boxing

NFL legend Frank Gore pulled off a sensational knockout finish in his professional boxing debut. The former running back was fighting on the card...

Boxing

SUPER flyweight boxer Jan Salvatierra was sent through the ropes following a brutal knockout from John Ramirez on Saturday. Ramirez made his move halfway...

Formula 1

CHARLES LECLERC had a day to forget after crashing Nicki Lauda’s 1974 Ferrari into the wall at Monaco. The current Ferrari star, 24, has...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook