The English all-rounder is one of the star attractions in the Rajasthan Royals set-up for the T20 cricket showpiece.
There are serious doubts as to whether the IPL can even go ahead this year after India was placed into a 21-day lockdown amid the coronavirus crisis.
The tournament was delayed until April 15, but that date looks increasingly unlikely as the spread of the deadly bug races across the globe.
And with no decision or guidance from the Indian cricket board, Stokes says he is faced with little option.
He told BBC Radio 5 Live: “At the moment my next competitive cricket is going to be in the IPL.
“I have to get my head round that I am playing even though in the back of my mind I know I am probably not.
“I have to build up and get myself physically in a position that if it does happen I am good to go.
“I cannot take three weeks off and expect the body to be ready for 20 April because it doesn’t work like that. It might happen and if it does I don’t want to be behind.”
The ECB last week announced that no professional cricket will take place in England before May 28 due to the pandemic.
But Indian bosses are yet to make a call on the state of the IPL with some reports saying they’re willing to “wait and watch”.