Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Cricket

Ollie Robinson taking ‘short break’ from cricket after Twitter storm over historic racist and sexist tweets

OLLIE ROBINSON is to take a break from cricket to escape the fall-out from his Twitter storm.

All-rounder Robinson, 27, is suspended from the Second Test pending an investigation into offensive posts he made while a teenager.

England and Sussex star Ollie Robinson will spend time off with his young family while he comes to terms with the pending investigation over historic tweets

 He was available to play for Sussex – but has chosen to miss the county’s T20 Blast matches against Gloucestershire and Hampshire on Friday and Saturday.

A Sussex spokesman said: “After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family.

“Player and staff welfare – including mental health and wellbeing – is a priority for the club and Sussex fully support Ollie in his decision. 

 “When he is ready to return, Ollie will be welcomed back to the club, where he retains the support of all his team-mates. 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Ollie’s tweets were completely unacceptable but he is a very different man from the one that wrote those tweets and has clearly learned much in the intervening years.

“He has made clear the shame, embarrassment and remorse he feels for the discriminatory comments he made.”

TWEETS UNCOVERED AFTER ‘MOMENT OF UNITY’

Robinson’s decade-old tweets were particularly embarrassing for England as they were uncovered after players had a “moment of unity” before day-one action began in the First Test.

They wore T-shirts rejecting discrimination, including racism and sexism.

Robinson apologised in public and to the England team, adding that he did not realise the posts were still on his timeline.

He said: “On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago which have today become public.

“I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions and I am ashamed of making such remarks.

“I was thoughtless and irresponsible and, regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Premier League

ARSENAL outcast Pablo Mari is reportedly set to return to Italy on loan with the defender reaching a full agreement with Monza. Having spent...

Horse Racing

MEGAN NICHOLLS celebrated her retirement from racing at the age of 25 – by frolicking in the sea in Barbados. Meg, the daughter of...

Boxing

LOGAN PAUL said Tommy Fury “made the right decision” not to fight his brother Jake and avoid a potentially embarrassing knockout loss. Fury has...

Premier League

CHELSEA have reportedly won the race to sign Frenkie de Jong with the club close to agreeing a £67.6million deal with Barcelona. The news...

Formula 1

RED BULL team boss Christian Horner has admitted Lewis Hamilton and his fans can feel aggrieved over his title loss at Abu Dhabi last...

Premier League

BEN WHITE has sparked injury fears ahead of Saturday’s clash against Leicester having been spotted wearing a knee brace in training. Though Fabio Vieira...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook