FINLAND fans handed over their team flags to shield stricken Christian Eriksen as the football world united in concern for the Denmark star.
The Inter Milan midfielder, 29, was later “stable” and “awake” in hospital after receiving CPR in the Euro 2020 game.
Players from both sides had looked on in tears and shock as he was treated on the field – while supporters made their own touching contributions.
The match was halted before both teams successfully requested a restart after a plea from Eriksen himself – with the Finns returning for the remaining 49 minutes to snatch a 1-0 win.
But the earlier response of supporters at the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen will play a large part in how football remembers a day when many feared another tragedy had struck.
Worried Finns near the scene gave large banners to help cover ex-Tottenham ace Eriksen as he was treated.
And after the pitch had been emptied of players, a majestic outburst of unity and respect rung around the ground.
Finland fans chanted “Christian” while Danes echoed back “Eriksen”.
Applause then reverberated across the stadium in a gesture described on social media as an example of the “beautiful game”.
Uefa later issued a statement to explain the match restart – which came “following the request made by players of both teams”.
Christian Eriksen latest:
– EURO HORROR Eriksen rushed to hospital in ‘stable condition’ after collapsing on pitch
– PLAY ON Christian Eriksen ‘FaceTimes Denmark team-mates from hospital’ and says play-on
– BEEB FURY BBC apologises after fans slam them for not cutting away after Eriksen collapsed
– ‘PLEASE GOD’ Football world prays for Eriksen after Dane collapses and given CPR on pitch
– UNITED IN CARE Touching moment Finland fans give country’s flags to shield stricken Eriksen
– ‘I LOVE YOU’ Watch Lukaku score for Belgium and dedicate goal to Inter team-mate Eriksen
Europe’s football chiefs said the game was “suspended due to a medical emergency which involved Denmark’s Christian Eriksen“.
Uefa added: “The player in now in hospital and in a stable condition.
“UEFA wishes Christian Eriksen a full and speedy recovery and wishes to thank both teams for their exemplary attitude.”
Always check our latest articles at…