Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Premier League

Barnsley defender Bambo Diaby banned for two years for doping by FA as he has contract ripped up

BARNSLEY defender Bambo Diaby has been banned for two years for doping and has had his contract ripped up by the club.

The 22-year-old is now prohibited from ‘all forms of football activity’ until 2022.

Diaby was hit with the provisional suspension in January

He was found guilty by the FA and World Anti-Doping Agency of breaching regulations.

Diaby showed traces of Higenamine in an ‘in-competition’ urine sample when tested in January 2020.

Higenamine was added to the list of banned substances in 2017.

It is found in a variety of plant sources and is on the banned list as it could act as a general stimulant.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The Spain-born Senegalese centre-back could not explain how the substance got into his system.

He has now been hit with a two year penalty – and Barnsley made it a double-whammy as they terminated his contract.

The ban starts on the day of his first provisional suspension on January 17 2020 and will be lifted at 11.59pm on January 16 2022.

Diaby thanked fans for their support during his suspension in an open letter on the club website.

Diaby released an open letter to fans where he maintained his innocence

He said: “I maintain my innocence, something the FA have acknowledged themselves but I must handle this decision with my family and look forward to a brighter future.

“I was welcomed with open arms by staff, players and the whole community of Barnsley. I made this place my home and was looking forward to many years playing for the town and its people.”

Barnsley released a statement explaining their decision to part ways with Diaby was ‘regretful’.

They said: “The FA Anti-Doping Regulation mandate a two-year ban where an individual is unable to show that they meet the strict requirements to sustain a plea of No Fault or Negligence, or No Significant Fault or Negligence.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Despite making sincere efforts to identify the source of the prohibited substance, Bambo Diaby has been unable to do so.

“Because of this, a two-year mandatory ban has been imposed by World Anti-Doping Agency and the FA. Bambo Diaby was not found guilty of knowingly ingesting a banned substance.

“Both Bambo Diaby and Barnsley FC have been honest and compliant throughout the process. However, following the outcome, regretfully Bambo Diaby’s contract has been consensually terminated.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Cricket

BEN STOKES and his England players were given a taste of their own medicine by an Indian hurricane called Rishabh Pant. Pant batted with...

Golf

PAIGE SPIRANAC has revealed how her Maxim ‘Sexiest Woman Alive’ award was tainted by “thousands” of vile online trolls. The stunning former golf pro,...

Formula 1

MAX VERSTAPPEN has found a new love with controversial ex-F1 world champion Nelson Piquet’s daughter. In 2020, the Dutchman called it quits with ex...

Formula 1

LEWIS HAMILTON’S incredible mansion in the Colorado mountains is the place he loves to stay at. And late last year, stunning model Camila Kenrda...

Formula 1

MAX VERSTAPPEN is currently winning on the track and enjoying a successful love life off it with Kelly Piquet. The 33-year-old Brazilian started dating...

Premier League

CRISTIANO RONALDO should ignore transfer interest to stay at Manchester United this summer, claims former striker Louis Saha. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner, 37,...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook