MANCHESTER City star Benjamin Mendy has today appeared in court after being charged with two further rapes.
The left-back, 27, was accused of four sex attacks on three different women but police yesterday announced fresh charges.
Mendy appeared at Manchester Magistrates’ Court today on the two new counts, which allegedly took place in July and August this year.
He spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during the brief hearing.
The £52million France international was remanded in custody to HMP Altcourse in Liverpool.
He is yet to enter a plea to six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
Co-accused Louis Saha Matturie, 40, was also handed two additional counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
Both men will appear at Chester Crown Court tomorrow for a mention ahead of a provisional trial on January 24, 2022.
Mendy is accused of raping a woman three times at his home in October last year.
He allegedly raped a second woman while he was on police bail.
The charges all relate to four different women aged over 16, it is said.
They allegedly took place between October last year and August.
In October, Mendy was denied bail by a judge at a 50-minute hearing at Chester Crown Court. It was the third bail application Mendy had made.
Premier League champions Man City spent a reported £49.2million signing Mendy from French side Monaco in 2017.
He last played for the club on August 15 during their 1-0 defeat to Tottenham at the start of the season.
But he was part of the squad that defeated Norwich 5-0 last weekend.
In September last year City boss Pep Guardiola revealed Mendy would be out of the game for at least a month due to an injury.
In a statement, the club said: “Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.”