BOOKIES reckon Newcastle fans are significantly closer to a major title once Mike Ashley sells the club.
Mohammad Bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince, runs the Public Investment Fund nearing a £300million takeover of the Magpies that the Toon Army hope will lead to a significant cash injection into the playing side.
Ashley has often been lamented for not directing substantial Premier League and gate money back into the team, with rare investments such as Joelinton failing to make an impact.
But Ladbrokes agree with early assessments that Newcastle can rise up the table once the deal is signed off.
Having previously had a Magpies league title win in the next five years at 500/1 the bookmaker now rates it as a 16/1 bet.
Likewise, their odds of winning the Champions League in the coming ten years have plummeted from 500/1 to 20/1.
With the Saudi fund that is dogged by human rights concerns set to take an 80 per cent stake in the club, Amanda Staveley’s PCP Partners and the billionaire Reuben brothers will split the remaining 20 per cent to complete the consortium.
With the brothers’ net worth of almost £16.5billion, according to the latest Sunday Times rich list, and estimations that bin Salman has £1trillion of funds at his disposal, heavy predictions are being made of their plans for Newcastle.
No serious names have emerged yet in terms of transfer business, but Paris Saint-Germain forward Edinson Cavani and ex-Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino feature in early rumours around the takeover.
Millionaire financier Staveley could have big plans after years of trying to buy a Premier League club.
The 47-year-old attempted to buy out Ashley in 2017 having helped push through the Emirati purchase of Manchester City.
The Abu Dhabi royal family have invested mega funds since their takeover went through in September 2008.
As an optimistic guide for the Toon, City claimed the Premier League trophy just under four years later – but are yet to experience Champions League glory.