Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Premier League

Sheff Utd stars Oli McBurnie and Rhian Brewster charged with common assault after Championship play-off pitch invasion

SHEFFIELD UNITED’S Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie have been charged with common assault by the police following the ugly play-off semi-final scenes at Nottingham Forest.

The duo will appear at Nottingham Magistrates Court on July 28.

Oli McBurnie has been charged by Nottinghamshire Police
Blades striker Brewster has also been charged

Blades striker Billy Sharp was headbutted by a fan after Forest supporters invaded the City Ground pitch having clinched a place at Wembley on penalties. 

Footage then emerged of Brewster, 22, and McBurnie, 26, in an altercation with another fan George Brinkley. 

Both “strenuously deny” the charges having voluntarily engaged in interviews with Nottinghamshire Police. 

Sheffield United said: “We are disappointed to learn that Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie have been charged. 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

READ MORE IN FOOTBALL

TOP OF THE FLOPS

Biggest flop XI in Prem history as £97.5m Lukaku nears Chelsea loan exit

HOLDING COURT

Courtois shares steamy kiss with bikini-clad model fiancee on yacht in Ibiza

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Both players voluntarily engaged in interviews with Nottinghamshire Police in the aftermath of the fixture which saw their team-mate, Billy Sharp, the victim of assault in the chaos which followed the final whistle.

“Brewster and McBurnie strenuously deny the charges brought against them and football manager Paul Heckingbottom, who wrote letters to the League Managers’ Association, the Professional Footballers’ Association, the EFL and FA following a number of pitch invasions last month, including one involving Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira, is continuing discussions with key stakeholders in a bid to better protect players and staff in their place of work.”

Sharp was knocked to the ground and required four stitches after being attacked by Forest season ticket holder Robert Biggs.

Biggs pleaded guilty in May to assault and occasioning actual bodily harm. 

The club said they will ban the 30-year-old for life, while he was also handed a 10-year football banning order. 

Biggs’ defence solicitor said he had handed himself in to police after seeing video footage of the attack on social media.

They said Biggs had drunk “a quantity of alcohol” and “just followed” two friends on to the pitch.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Cricket

JONNY BAIRSTOW scored another incredible Test century and insisted: “I’ve always known I can play like this.” Bairstow’s 130 not out from 126 balls...

Horse Racing

LEGENDARY jockey Frankie Dettori and top trainer John Gosden have agreed to a ‘sabbatical’. After crunch talks in Newmarket today, Gosden announced that Dettori...

Cricket

TV viewers were left shocked as an advert featuring Shane Warne broadcasted during England’s Test against New Zealand. The Australian legend’s sudden death aged...

Tennis

WIMBLEDON is upon us yet again and fans queuing in their masses for tickets. The sport’s biggest starts will be in action this year,...

Tennis

EMMA RADUCANU sparked concern for her fitness after quitting a high-profile pre-planned practice session on the eve of Wimbledon. And former tennis ace Pam...

Golf

BROOKS KOEPKA and Jena Sims shared more pictures of their wedding adventure in the Caribbean. The golf star and his aspiring swimsuit model partner...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook