TWO members of the Aston Martin team have tested positive for COVID-19 on the eve of the new F1 season.
Last year, the season-opening Australian GP was scrapped and the season placed on hold following a positive test within the McLaren team.
However, it will not disrupt this weekend’s opening race of the season in Bahrain, which is going ahead as planned.
An Aston Martin spokesman said: “We can confirm that two of our staff have tested positive for Covid-19. We are taking all the necessary precautions.”
F1 has adopted strict protocols again this season where everyboby is tested before being allowed entry to the paddock.
The Bahraini authorities also have a vigorous testing process for all arrivals to the Gulf Kingdom.
All incoming passengers are subjected to a test upon landing before being told to isolate in their hotel room while they wait for their results.
It is believed that this is when the positive results were discovered and those tested, along with their bubble, were placed into quarantine as a precaution pending a second test.
ASON-CAL-1.jpg” alt=”” class=”alignnone size-large wp-image-13717596″ width=”542″ height=”1024″ />
Last year, despite the pandemic, F1 was able to hold 17 races safely after conducting 78,000 tests of which there were just 78 positives. A rate of 0.1 percent.
Practice for the inaugural race of the 2021 season is due to get underway at 11am on Friday.
Lights out on the Grand Prix is scheduled for 4pm on Sunday as Lewis Hamilton begins his quest for a record-breaking eighth world title.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE