Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Formula 1

‘I’m back’ – Lewis Hamilton posts on social media for first time since Abu Dhabi GP shambles amid doubts over F1 future

LEWIS HAMILTON has broken his silence on social media with a cryptic six-word post where he announced he’s ‘back’.

The 37-year-old hasn’t been active on Instagram since the controversial Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in December where he lost out on the world title to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.

Lewis Hamilton posted this snap on Instagram to his 26.8 million followers
Hamilton missed out on the Formula One world title after Max Verstappen beat him in Abu Dhabi

British star Hamilton missed out on a record eighth championship after Verstappen passed the Mercedes ace on the final lap having taken advantage of a safety car.

Hamilton was leading the race by ten seconds going into lap 54, only for a safety car to be deployed after Williams’ Nicholas Latifi crashed into the barriers.

And with fresher tyres having pitted, Verstappen overtook his rival after stewards decided to allow lapped cars to overtake.

FIA director Michael Masi had initially indicated lapped cars between Hamilton and Verstappen would stay in their formation, only to change his mind, resulting in the former to claim that the race ‘has been manipulated’.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

His former Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg spoke of the ‘incredible pain’ he felt following the heartbreaking race.

Speculation has been rife that Hamilton could sensationally quit the sport after being pipped by Verstappen.

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

But Hamilton has hinted he is set for a return to action in an Instagram post to his 26.8 million followers.

Sharing a snap of himself smiling by the Grand Canyon in the United States of America, the Arsenal fan simply said: “I’ve been gone. Now I’m back!”

Mercedes were quick to comment, as they messaged: “Welcome back.”

Hamilton’s upload comes after former F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone declared he wouldn’t be returning following a conversation with his father.

Asked whether he had spoken to Hamilton, the 91-year-old told Blick: “No, but a few days ago with his father.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“I immediately felt that he wouldn’t answer a question about his son’s future. So we only talked about business!”

Before adding: “I don’t think he’s coming back. His disappointment is too big. And you can somehow understand it.

“Now it would be time to tackle his dream of becoming a fashion entrepreneur with seven world titles like Michael Schumacher.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Tennis

BUNGLING blazers have delivered a Centre Court snub to homegrown heroes Katie Boulter and Liam Broady. All England chiefs have blown the chance for...

Premier League

TYRELL MALACIA has agreed personal terms ahead of his proposed move to Manchester United, according to reports. The left-back, 22, had been on the...

Boxing

CLARESSA SHIELDS believes she is not the only boxing champion champion capable of crossing over to MMA. Shields has double Olympic gold medals, two...

Tennis

WIMBLEDON has a famously strict dress code – but fans are loving that adidas’ bold new “bra” outfit has been given the green light...

Premier League

NEYMAR has reportedly activated a clause in his contract to extend his stay at Paris Saint-Germain until 2027. The Brazilian, 30, most recently put...

Boxing

KSI has announced he will fight YouTuber Alex Wassabi on August 27. The bout will take place at the O2 Arena in London and...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook