LEWIS HAMILTON will wait for the results of the FIA’s investigation into the Abu Dhabi GP before deciding if he wants to stay in F1.
The Brit is “disillusioned” with the sport after he was denied victory at the Yas Marina Circuit where race director Michael Masi fudged the rules.
It resulted in Max Verstappen taking the chequered flag – and the F1 world crown – much to Hamilton and his Mercedes team’s anger.
Hamilton has not yet spoken about the incident other than a short post-race interview. He’s also refused to post on social media.
Wednesday marks a month since the race with the FIA promising an investigation into what happened in race control.
Masi did not follow the rules with regard to the safety car, resulting in a single lap showdown with Hamilton and Verstappen.
However, the Dutchman was on fresh tyres and Hamilton was a sitting duck, with the Merc man claiming the race was “manipulated”.
So far, there has been silence from the FIA and Masi with regard to the status of their investigation, despite requests from .
After the Abu Dhabi finale, Hamilton said ‘we will see about next year’ in a cryptic interview with Jenson Button.
Neither he nor his Mercedes team did any further interviews following the race.
Hamilton, who was knighted in December, also ignored newly-elected FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem’s messages – and skipped the FIA end-of-season gala.
But despite the radio silence, Ben Sulayem is confident Hamilton will be battling to reclaim the world title when the season starts in Bahrain in March.
He said: “No, I don’t think he will quit.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
“I’ll ask your question: did Lewis declare that he’s not going to race? No. Exactly. Being a driver, you declare yourself, you don’t let the rumours talk.
“I’m confident that Lewis will return. Lewis is a big part of motorsport, and of course of Formula One, the new era can add to Lewis’ wins and achievements, and also Verstappen is there.
“I am very confident that you will see a very challenging Formula One season next year.”