Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Formula 1

Michael Masi in line for shock F1 return that will enrage Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes just weeks after he was dropped

FIA chief Mohammed ben Sulayem has hinted that disgraced race director Michael Masi could RETURN to F1.

Australian Masi was axed from his position in February due to the role he played in the controversial 2021 title decider in Abu Dhabi.

Michael Masi could be in line for a return to F1

Lewis Hamilton was in favour of the decision to sack Masi earlier this year

Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes were both heavily in favour of the decision to relieve Masi of his duties.

Nevertheless Ben Sulayem has sensationally revealed it is not “the end” for 44-year-old Masi in F1.

Masi himself would like a return to the frame just weeks after he was forced out.

Ben Sulayem told the Daily Mail: “I didn’t get rid of Michael. He had a personal overload (of work) – safety delegate as well as race director. He made a mistake. It is not as if we said it is the end of Masi with the FIA.”

Read More In F1

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

WINNING FORMULA

Hamilton’s homes include £32m New York penthouse and £18m London mansion

BIG PRIZES

Play the Sun Vegas wheel for FREE every day between midday and midnight

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Ben Sulayem took charge of the FIA in December, weeks after Masi allowed five cars to un-lap themselves in Abu Dhabi which helped Max Verstappen secure a maiden world title ahead of Hamilton.

Masi was then axed in February, with Red Bull chief Helmut Marko even claiming Hamilton was responsible for Masi losing his job.

Ben Sulayem continued: “I don’t know Michael very well. The decision (to sack him as race director) was made by the World Council. It was human error on Michael’s part.”

He added: “I spoke to him two days ago. I have no personal issue (with him). I don’t hate anyone.”

SUN BINGO GET £50 BONUS & 50 FREE SPINS TODAY

And he admitted the FIA are “open” to re-employing Masi in the future.  

Ben Sulayem concluded: “Michael is there and we might use him. I didn’t say we were getting rid of him.

“I said we might use him. He may be in a good place to use. We are open to everything.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Our race structure was wrong organisationally. And though we have brought in two new race directors, I wouldn’t say we have got it all right yet. We need to clean the stables.

“This lack of people in the FIA needs to be addressed. I would like to see a minimum of three race directors, ideally by the beginning of next year.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Premier League

CHRIS SMALLING has been hailed for his man of the match performance in Roma’s Europa Conference League final win. The former Manchester United defender...

Boxing

DEONTAY WILDER’s girlfriend Telli Swift has praised her man’s ‘sacrifice, blood, sweat and tears’ after he unveiled a statue of himself in Alabama. The...

Premier League

MANCHESTER UNITED and Tottenham are keeping tabs on Inter Milan ace Alessandro Bastoni, reports suggest. That is according to Gazzetta dello Sport, who claim...

Boxing

TYSON FURY has reacted to Anthony Joshua’s encounter with a bunch of gobby Loughborough University students. SunSport revealed this week that AJ gave the...

Premier League

CESAR AZPILICUETA and Marcos Alonso are finally set to negotiate their Chelsea exits this Friday, according to reports. The duo have been heavily linked...

Golf

PAIGE SPIRANAC revealed a number of personal secrets as she undertook a revealing Q&A with her 3.3m Instagram followers. The former golf pro and...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook