Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Horse Racing

Irish jockey given FOUR-YEAR cocaine ban after testing positive in ‘one-off’ situation

, Irish jockey given FOUR-YEAR cocaine ban after testing positive in ‘one-off’ situation

A JOCKEY has been given a FOUR-YEAR ban after testing positive for cocaine.

Young Irish rider Tom Joseph Kelly was handed the whopping punishment by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board.

Irish jockey Kelly has been banned for four years after a ‘one-off’ cocaine incident

However, at least three of the years are suspended and, with the ban being backdated to August 22 this year, he could be racing again next year.

At a referrals committee hearing, Kelly, who tested positive for a metabolite of cocaine at Killarney on July 15, said he had no recollection of taking the Class A drug.

The IHRB statement read: “Mr Kelly explained that he had been on a night out during which he had refused the offer of cocaine but stated that it was being taken in his company.

“He stated that he has no recollection of taking cocaine but accepted that with the consumption of alcohol and peer pressure from those around him that he must have dropped his guard later in the evening.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“He said that he had never before or since taken any type of drugs and that he wasn’t aware of the consequences, but this was a mistake he would regret for some time and apologised for letting his family, employer and the sport of racing down.”

Kelly, a claiming professional with earnings of £43,965 on the track this season, had been riding for Enda Bolger.

The trainer said Kelly was a ‘brilliant horseman and worker’ who ‘never gave any problems’.

Bolger said he would be sticking 100 per cent with Kelly and offering him all assistance in the future.

Kelly’s final three years of the ban are suspended so long as he co-operates with the IHRB’s senior medical officer Dr Jennifer Pugh.

The IHRB said: “We have to impose a lengthy suspension but in doing that we accept that this was a once off and we accept that you have approached the case very fairly and you haven’t created any difficulties, and this was a one-off situation.

“We are imposing a suspension of four years, beginning from the August 22 2021.

“We have taken the approach that if you cooperate with Dr Pugh and do whatever has to be done under her guidance and that of Mr Brennan if required by Dr Pugh, between now and August 22 2022 we will be in a position to consider a review for partial suspension of the penalty with effect from that date.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Did you miss our previous article…
https://www.sportingexcitement.com/horse-racing/leading-cheltenham-festival-hope-buzz-suffers-severe-injury-setback-nicky-henderson-confirms

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Tennis

ROGER FEDERER is reportedly in talks to join the BBC’s Wimbledon coverage. The ever-popular eight-time champion, 41, retired in emotional scenes across London at...

Formula 1

SPECSAVERS joined F1 fans in poking fun at Red Bull after the world champions unveiled their new car. Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez will...

Boxing

TOMMY FURY has been sparring “one of the best bare-knuckle fighters in the UK” ahead of his grudge match with Jake Paul. The celebrity...

Formula 1

FORD have confirmed their intentions to return to Formula One. The American Car manufacturer has been absent from the motorsport since 2004, but have...

Golf

GOLF beauty Bri Teresi has sent fans wild with a stunning beach bikini pictures. The sporting model, who rivals Paige Spiranac as the sport’s...

Boxing

JAKE PAUL wants John Fury to CONFIRM he will retire son Tommy from boxing should he lose their fight. The celebrity boxing rivals have...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement