Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Tennis

China state TV posts new pics of missing tennis star Peng Shuai ‘from her social media’ wishing fans ‘happy weekend’

CHINESE state media have posted three pictures of missing tennis star Peng Shuai wishing fans a ‘happy weekend’.

The former Wimbledon doubles champion, 35, hadn’t been seen since November 3 after accusing a former top Chinese government official of sexual abuse.

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai has been been seen in new pictures for the first time since she accused a former government official of forcing her to have sex with him

Two-time Grand Slam champ Peng claimed that ex-vice premier Zhang Gaoli, 75, forced her to have sex with him three years ago.

Earlier this week, Chinese state media released an email they said was from Peng, where she insisted that she is ‘safe’ and her sexual abuse allegations were not true.

And now Chinese state TV reporter Shen Shiwei has tweeted pictures of Peng from her WeChat account, showing her with cuddly toys.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Captioning the photos, he said: “Peng Shuai’s WeChat moments just posted three latest photos and said ‘Happy weekend’.

“Her friend shared the three photos and the screenshot of Peng’s WeChat moments.”

A number of tennis players have demanded to see proof that she is safe, with British ace Andy Murray tweeting: “Where is Peng Shuai?”

Meanwhile Serena Williams posted on social media: “I am devastated and shocked to hear about the news of my peer, Peng Shuai.

“I hope she is safe and found as soon as possible. This must be investigated and we must not stay silent.

“Sending love to her and her family during this incredibly difficult time.”

And Naomi Osaka wrote: “Not sure if you’ve been following the news but I was recently informed of a fellow tennis player that has gone missing shortly after revealing that she has been sexually abused..

“Censorship is never OK at any cost, I hope Peng Shuai and her family are safe and OK.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“I’m in shock of the current situation and I’m sending love and light her way.”

In a bold stand, WTA chief Steve Simon has confirmed the organisation would reconsider taking the women’s tennis tour to China, especially given the financial implications that could have.

He also questioned the authenticity of Peng’s email – with Amnesty International asking China to prove she is safe.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Cricket

JOFRA ARCHER’S career has been plunged into further doubt after being ruled out for the whole summer. The Sussex fast bowler has suffered a...

Boxing

JOSHUA BUATSI returns to the ring on Saturday night in the toughest test of his career against Craig ‘Spider’ Richards. The mouthwatering light-heavyweight fight...

Tennis

NOVAK DJOKOVIC may have to beat Rafael Nadal in the French Open QUARTER-FINALS of his bid to draw level with his great rival on...

Cricket

BEN STOKES has revealed he suffered panic attacks while sitting on the toilet in his room at the England team hotel. His agent says...

Boxing

EDDIE HEARN was half-tempted to jokingly call out Jake Paul during the Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano fight week. The pair got up close...

Golf

TIGER WOODS was almost hit by a flying golf ball and rowed with a cameraman in an eventful opening round at the PGA Championship....

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook