THE first Grand Slam of the year is underway Down Under – as the Australian Open commences the tennis season proper.
The tournament was originally scheduled to start in January, but organisers have delayed proceedings by three weeks due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Novak Djokovic is the defending men’s champion after his win over Dominic Thiem, while Sofia Kenin saw off Garbine Muguruza in three sets.
Andy Murray is OUT of the tournament after testing positive for coronavirus, while Roger Federer misses out with an ankle injury.
When is the Australian Open 2021?
- The tournament began on Monday, February 8 and runs for a fortnight.
- Things come to a close with the men’s singles title decided on Sunday, February 21.
- It’s the 109th edition of the tournament, which is held annually at Melbourne Park.
- Originally, the competition was slated to run between January 18-31 but was moved so the top names in world tennis could attend.
What TV channel is the Australian Open on and can I live stream it free?
- You can tune into the Australian Open on Eurosport here in the UK.
- Eurosport customers can watch on their TV, or stream using the Eurosport Player.
- You can find Eurosport 1 on Sky channel 410.
- You will not be able to live stream free this year, but the Eurosport Player is available for just 99p for your first two months via Amazon Prime Video.
Australian Open schedule
- Men’s and women’s singles first round – February 8
- Men’s and women’s singles first round – February 9
- Men’s and women’s singles second round – February 10
- Men’s and women’s singles second round – February 11
- Men’s and women’s singles third round – February 12
- Men’s and women’s singles third round – February 13
- Men’s and women’s singles fourth round – February 14
- Men’s and women’s singles fourth round – February 15
- Men’s and women’s singles quarter-finals – February 16
- Men’s and women’s singles quarter-finals – February 17
- Women’s semi-finals and first men’s semi-final – February 18
- Second men’s semi-final – February 19
- Women’s final – February 20
- Men’s final – February 21