Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Tennis

Wimbledon champion Peng Shuai ‘denies she’s missing and says sex abuse claims are false’ in statement via Chinese media

, Wimbledon champion Peng Shuai ‘denies she’s missing and says sex abuse claims are false’ in statement via Chinese media

CHINESE state media have released an email they say is from ‘safe’ tennis star Peng Shuai – in which she claims her sexual abuse allegations against the country’s former vice premier are untrue.

The former Wimbledon champion, 35, allegedly ‘disappeared’ this month after aiming the accusations at a former top Chinese government official.

Chinese statement media have released an email they claim is from Peng Shuai saying she is safe
The email also says Shuai’s allegations of sexual assault by an ex-government official are untrue

But Chinese state media have now released an email addressed to WTA chairman Steve Simon, which they claim was written by Shuai herself.

The email says that her own allegations of sexual abuse against the official are not true, and that she is also not missing but just ‘resting at home’.

It read: “Hello everyone this is Peng Shuai.

“Regarding the recent news released on the official website of the WTA, the content has not been confirmed or verified by myself and it was released without my consent.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“The news in that release, including the allegation of sexual assault, is not true.

“I’m not missing, nor am I unsafe. I’ve just been resting at home and everything is fine.

“Thank you again for caring about me. If the WTA publishes any more news about me, please verify it with me, and release it with my consent.

“As a professional tennis player, I thank you all for your companionship and consideration.

“I hope to promote Chinese tennis with you all if I have the chance in the future. I hope Chinese tennis will become better and better.

“Once again, thank you for your consideration.”

The email comes after Shuai posted on social media claiming that 75-year-old Zhang Gaoli, the ex-vice premier and member of the party’s all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee, forced her to have sex with him three years ago.

The two-time Grand Slam doubles champion also said they had extramarital relations seven years ago and that she developed feelings for him.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

According to The Mail, the post, which surfaced last week, was subsequently removed from Chinese social media site Weibo.

All of her content has since been removed from the website and she has not been seen since.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Horse Racing

GUTTED fans were all left saying the same thing after superstar horse Baaeed demolished rivals in one of the greatest performances ever. William Haggas’...

Horse Racing

THE track looked in immaculate condition on Wednesday and, as usual, everything they do here at York is top class. I love the place....

Horse Racing

KEMPTON was forced to abandon its entire meeting on Wednesday evening – after torrential rain battered the course. Incredible TV footage showed the flooded...

Premier League

TOTTENHAM fans trolled Mikel Arteta’s All or Nothing rant – because Nuno Tavares is the only Arsenal player in the Champions League this season....

Horse Racing

BAAEED made it a perfect ten from ten with a foot perfect and brilliant Juddmonte win at York. On what will likely be his...

Boxing

DILLIAN WHYTE only earned £300 for his win over Anthony Joshua in the amateur ranks. The two British heavyweights battled each other in 2009....

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook