Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Tennis

Wimbledon set to be ‘AXED instead of played behind closed doors’ as tennis faces six week coronavirus ban

, Wimbledon set to be ‘AXED instead of played behind closed doors’ as tennis faces six week coronavirus ban

WIMBLEDON is likely to be cancelled rather than played behind closed doors if the coronavirus pandemic continues until the summer.

ATP and WTA tennis chiefs are expected to announce later today a six-week break in their Tours in reaction to the growing global spread of COVID-19.

All-England Club would not want the tournament to go ahead without fans

, Wimbledon set to be ‘AXED instead of played behind closed doors’ as tennis faces six week coronavirus ban Read our Coronavirus in Sport live blog for the latest news, updates and cancellations

This would wipe out the clay-court season and potentially jeopardise the French Open, which starts on May 24.

This follows news US President Donald Trump has taken the unprecedented step to suspend all flights between the United States and nearly all of Europe for the next 30 days.

It is understood the All-England Club would be reluctant to play the iconic Grand Slam without fans.

An ultimate decision would be taken in consultation with the government and relevant health authorities but the policy of major sporting events taking place behind closed-doors is set to be implemented across the UK.

The last time Wimbledon was cancelled was during the Second World War.

If the worst case scenario happens, SunSport understands their insurance policies mean they can offer refunds to ticket holders and debenture holders.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Andy Murray had hoped to fly to Florida next week for the Miami Open but though there has not been official confirmation yet it is expected to be postponed.

The Indian Wells Masters was cancelled last Sunday following confirmed cases in the Coachella Valley region.

The inaugural Fed Cup finals in Hungary and playoffs have also been axed.

The dad of world No.11 Fabio Fognini said last night that players had been told Miami was off.

Fulvio said: “Common sense prevails. Fabio has just informed me. At this point I believe that the whole European season is at great risk.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Premier League

Liverpool's Front Three Dilemma Liverpool faces a challenge with injuries to key players like Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah. With doubts looming over their...

Premier League

Fans rally behind Liverpool Fans were quick to joke that Liverpool "have one job" after Chelsea supporter Astrid Wett made a bold promise ahead...

Premier League

Family Ties While Chelsea's Conor Gallagher shines in the spotlight, his brother Dan is carving out his own path in non-league football with Dorking...

Premier League

Goal Celebration Prank Former Arsenal player Granit Xhaka scored a remarkable goal in a Bundesliga match for Bayer Leverkusen. However, it was his celebration...

Premier League

Security Scare Liverpool and England footballer Trent Alexander-Arnold has faced a year-long ordeal with a sex-crazed stalker, prompting him to take serious security measures....

Premier League

Liverpool Facing Tough Times Post-Klopp With Jurgen Klopp's impending departure, Liverpool fans are urged to savor the upcoming Wembley final as future finals may...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement