AUSTRALIAN tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend.
The 27-year-old, who is through to the quarter-finals of the Wimbledon tournament, is due to appear in court next month.
The alleged assault took place in December 2021
If found guilty, Kyrgios faces up to two years in jail.
The alleged assault of his former partner Chiara Passari is reported to have taken place last year, according to The Canberra Times.
It quoted police in Australia Capital Territory (ACT) in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.
“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” police said.
Kyrgios is alleged to have grabbed his former partner, according to the Australian publication.
Barrister Jason Moffett, who represents Kyrgios, confirmed his client was aware of the charge.
“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he told The Canberra Times.
“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.
“Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”
Kyrgios, who was born and raised in Canberra, is due to face Cristian Garin tomorrow in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon.
On Monday, the world number 40-ranked men’s tennis player beat Brandon Nakashima on Centre Court by three sets to two.