RYDER CUP is BACK on the big screens and some of golf’s greatest players will be battling it out on the green in Italy.
Team USA convincingly beat Europe in the 2020 edition having dominated across all three days of action at Whistling Straits.
Team USA won the delayed 2020 Ryder Cup
And Colin Morikawa will hope to be instrumental once again as it was his half-point in the singles clash against Viktor Hovland which sealed the deal for USA.
But the Americans have not had Ryder Cup success on European soil since 1993 so they are in for a tough test.
Furthermore, a decision is yet to be made on whether USA’s LIV players will be considered for selection which could see the likes of Phil Mickelson, Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson all miss out.
When is the Ryder Cup 2023?
The 44th Ryder Cup will officially get underway on Friday, September 29 and conclude on Sunday, October 1.
A start time is yet to be confirmed for the first Practice day and opening ceremony, but check back with SunSport for any updates.
Macro Simone Golf and Country Club just outside Rome is the allocated venue for this huge competition and it is an 18-hole championship course.
Furthermore, Marco Simone previously hosted the Italian Open in 2021.
What TV channel is it on can it be live streamed?
The Ryder Cup will be exclusively broadcast LIVE on Sky Sports Golf in the UK.
Coverage time is set to be announced closer to the start date which you will be able to find out here on SunSport.
Subscription members of NOW TV will also have the option to stream the entire action through the NOW TV website or app.
Alternatively, SunSport will have coverage of the competition through our live blog.
What are the teams?
The sides are yet to be confirmed but World Golf Championship winner Luke Donald will captain Europe after Henrik Stenson was stripped.
Luke Donald will captain Team Europe
While 2007 Masters champion Zach Johnson will be the man calling the shots for Team USA.
And both captain’s have until Sunday September 3 to confirm their final picks.
Can LIV golfers play in the Ryder Cup?
There has been no definitive answer as to whether LIV golf players can play at the Ryder Cup just yet.
Both European and American LIV stars are currently banned from the PGA Tour which restricts their chances of automatically qualifying.
However, captain’s still get a set number of picks even if players fail to qualify through the points system.
Golf legend Sir Nick Faldo believes that European LIV rebels shouldn’t get to play at the Ryder Cup.
Faldo said: “They [LIV players] shouldn’t be there because they’ve gone off and you’ve got to move on.
“They’re all at the age where Europe needs to find a new breed of 25-year-olds that can play half a dozen or more Ryder Cups, and I think we’re going to have that.”
Ryder Cup standings
Here are the current Ryder Cup standings for both Europe and USA
- Jon Rahm
- Rory Mcilroy
- Victor Perez
- Viktor Hovland
- Tyrell Hatton
- Matt Fitzpatrick
- Scottie Scheffler
- Brooks Koepka
- Max Homa
- Xander Schauffele
- Patrick Cantlay
- Cameron Young
What is the full schedule?
Tuesday September 26
- Practice day 1
Wednesday September 27
- Practice day 2
Thursday September 28
- Opening ceremony
- Practice day 3
Friday September 29
- Four fourballs matches – AM
- Four foursome matches – PM
Saturday September 30
- Four fourballs matches – AM
- Four foursome matches – PM
Sunday October 1
- Full-day 12 singles matches
- Closing ceremony
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible that a professional Golfer can make a living from the game?
Yes, it is possible for a professional golfer to make money. However, it requires hard work and dedication. Pros can make millions each year.
Can watching golf improve your skills?
Yes, it makes my game better!
One of the most loved sports in the world is golf. The sport of golf involves hitting a ball to a target from various distances with sticks and clubs. It is a great way for people to unwind and enjoy some time outside. Did you know there are so many benefits to playing golf? Here are some:
- Golf helps you get fit
- Playing golf makes you feel good
- When playing you don’t have too much to think about
- Golf teaches patience
- Inspiration can be found in watching golf
- Golf is great fun
- It’s easy to learn golf
- Golf is more affordable than other sports
- Golf is a great stress reliever
- Golf is a social activity
Can I improve my playing without practice?
It is vital to practice regularly if you want to improve your game. But, even if it is difficult to practice drills consistently, you can still improve. Keep in mind that you should always strive to practice what you have set out to do. If you want to play faster, you need to focus on playing fast. If you want to hit the target farther, you should also focus on hitting the target further.
What does an average golfer do?
An average golfer is able to shoot between 80-85 yards and their driver.
Which is the most important shot of golf?
The most important shot for a golfer is the putt. The putt is the most important shot for a golfer. If you don’t hit it perfectly, you will likely lose the hole (and perhaps the game).
How can you improve your golf game in a matter of hours?
The best way to improve your golf game overnight is to practice for 20 minutes per day, three times a week. If you want to be able to play well at any tournament, then you need to practice consistently. Practice makes perfect!
- Or that, on the greens, some 84% of putts over five feet also finish short of the hole? (todaysgolfer.co.uk)
- Trackman found that over 65% of amateur’s golf shots finish short of the target from 160 yards. (golfinsideruk.com)
- This means as much as 50% of your practice time. (practical-golf.com)
- However, if you go in thinking that you will get all the way down to a 10, you will likely stunt your progress because your expectations are way out of line. (practical-golf.com)
- By adding 10 more yards to all their golf shots amateurs will increase the percentage of greens they hit by 8 – 10%. (golfinsideruk.com)
Five Steps to Lower your Golf Scores
- Get the right equipment. You’re going to want to invest in some good clubs and balls. Learn how to golf from a professional. Ask around at the local driving school if there isn’t anyone you know who plays. You might get a lesson for free, or they may even offer you a free one!
- Practice makes perfect. This is obvious, but practicing is the best way to improve your game. You don’t have to play with friends or alone; practice is vital. And when you do start practicing, make sure you keep track of your progress. Write down everything you do so that you can see where you’re improving and where you still need work.
- Play more. When you first get started, it’s probably going to feel like you’re spending too much money on golfing gear, so you won’t go out nearly enough. But once you get in a rhythm, you’ll find that you actually enjoy it. Your next step is increasing your play frequency. Try to play three times per week (or every other day). This means that you should play one round of 18 holes on the weekend and two rounds 9 holes during week.
- Don’t forget to eat well. A lot of people think that they’re doing their bodies a favor by skipping breakfast and eating only after lunch. But this isn’t healthy. Try to eat something before leaving the house. Ideal is to have a small snack that contains protein, carbohydrates, as well as fat. Then, when you arrive at the course, you can have a light meal consisting of lean proteins and vegetables.
- Hydration is key. Drinking lots of fluids prevents dehydration, which can lead headaches or muscle aches. Additionally, water helps to keep your body hydrated which is essential for peak performance.