Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sporting ExcitementSporting Excitement

Horse Racing

Cheltenham Festival to slash crowd numbers for 2023 but punters doubt it will make any difference

, Cheltenham Festival to slash crowd numbers for 2023 but punters doubt it will make any difference

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL is to slash its crowd numbers for next year – but punters doubt it will make any difference.

Bosses will cap the number of racegoers to 68,500 – down roughly 5,000 on the record numbers seen on the Thursday and Friday of this year’s Festival.

Cheltenham Festival will limit crowd numbers at next year’s meeting in a bid to improve the raceday experience

However, punters think the cap won’t really affect their raceday experience at Prestbury Park.

There was outrage last year over the price of a pint and the queues for food and toilets.

The Jockey Club said the latest change came about after feedback from punters and participants – and mirrors Royal Ascot’s successful ‘limited crowd number’ scheme.

Ian Renton, The Jockey Club’s Managing Director for Cheltenham and the West Region, said: “With Covid-19 spectator restrictions lifted, The Festival made a spectacular return in 2022, welcoming record crowds to enjoy a tremendous atmosphere and the very best of Jump racing.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“It was fantastic to attract capacity crowds on both Thursday and Friday to witness some brilliant racing in glorious sunshine.

“However, we are well aware that our facilities, even after significant investment in recent years, are stretched at these attendance levels.

“Despite the financial implications of reducing attendance numbers, we will be capping daily capacity at 68,500 in the recognition of the importance of ensuring that The Festival remains an attractive and enjoyable experience for the long-term.

“Ticket sales for 2023 have been very brisk and I would advise those wishing to attend to book as soon as possible to avoid any possible disappointment.”

However, other punters thought this was a ploy to ease in the prospect of a five-day Festival.

An extra day’s racing at the year’s biggest meeting has long been a bone of contention in the sport.

It makes sense for racecourse bosses to want an extra day’s action on what in all likelihood will be the Saturday.

But some owners and punters think the prospect of potentially seven more races will dilute the action even further.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Racing fans were quick to take to social media to voice their opinions on the latest change, which comes after police warned of the ‘lack of control’ during raceweek.

One said: “Buzzing. Might only take one hour to get a Guinness now.”

Another commented: “Looks like the PR battle to butter people up for a fifth day has begun…”

One post read: “Right decision. Ridiculous how busy it was this year!”

A fellow Twitter user wrote: “Definitely a sensible move in terms of people management but can’t help but think prices will be even higher next year to compensate the lower attendance.”

While one said simply: “Now reduce the price of a Guinness, cheers.”

Did you miss our previous article…
https://www.sportingexcitement.com/horse-racing/gordon-elliotts-legendary-horse-looks-unrecognisable-in-new-career-can-you-work-out-who-it-is/

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest

Formula 1

F1 legend Sir Frank Williams left £14.4million in his will, records reveal. The 79-year-old, who died last November, was founder of the Williams team...

Golf

Ex-GOLFER and social media star Paige Spiranac’s highly anticipated sexy calendar has been released, wowing fans in a skimpy black bikini on the front...

Premier League

ARSENAL star William Saliba was lined up by Barcelona for a transfer over the summer. Saliba, 21, has hit the ground running since breaking...

Boxing

CHRIS EUBANK JR has opened up on his self imposed sex bans and confirmed his two week pause prior to his fight with Conor...

Horse Racing

JUST FINE made history at Leicester as the first Royal winner since the death of The Queen. The four-year-old – aptly-trained by Her Majesty’s...

Premier League

JOHN OBI MIKEL claims snubbing Manchester United for Chelsea was the “best decision” he ever made. The Nigerian announced his retirement from football aged...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook